Included Logo Page

The Old CLUB4AG FORUM ARCHIVE

For reference only, all new posts and communications should be posted in the new forums at http://club4ag.com/forums

My Profile | Active Users | Member List | Search

Print  Email  Subscribe  RSS  Help
 Converting auto to manuel?
Author Post
Burning_Inner_Strength

18 posts [100%]
Foresthill CA

Converting auto to manuel? Reply  Edit

What am I really looking at when i want to convert my auto aw11 to a manuel? Just how much it would be...etc...

assassin10000
Teq

4959 posts [100%]
Northern CA

Re: Converting auto to manuel? (Burning_Inner_Strength) » Reply  Edit

Just an FYI, a little searching will go a LONG ways.

AND you may have some good luck checking the forums at http://www.mr2oc.com & http://www.mr2.com as they're may be write-ups there about doing this.

Cost will depend on what your able to find parts for... and of course whether or not you use new parts or reseal the trans. Well suffice it to say it a LOT of money can be spent or a little depending on how good you are at hunting down deals.

Andrew

Burning_Inner_Strength

18 posts [100%]
Foresthill CA

Re: Converting auto to manuel? (assassin10000) » Reply  Edit

thank you very much for the tip and links! have you ever done something like this sort of project?
rooster

52 posts [98%]
solvay newyork

Re: Converting auto to manuel? (Burning_Inner_Strength) » Reply  Edit

i already have a 5spd on my aw11 but over the winter i was gunna swap out the stock motor an tranny w/ the 20 v black top an a 6 spd tranny not sure how im gunna do it yet but im sure with some inginiuty it can b done so far i think the hardest part is gunna b the ecu an wireing im hopin w/ a 12 pk of beer an a cpl of my cousins we can figure it out @ this point tho my focus is 2 get the lookin an ridin nice then im gunna work on buildin up hp
Randomist

259 posts [98%]
MT MEE QLD

Re: Converting auto to manuel? (rooster) » Reply  Edit

thats always a good way to do it rooster good luck with the 20valve

as to the gearbox, i think unfortunantly the wiring and ecu will need to be swapped out along withthe gearbox as well as the shift plate inside the car and possibly the centre console

find someone near you with a manual mr2 who wants a auto and just swap XD

at the very least check the similarities and differences between the 2 models ^_-

AW 11 - the original and the best

Burning_Inner_Strength

18 posts [100%]
Foresthill CA

Re: Converting auto to manuel? (Randomist) » Reply  Edit

Really? well i live in california, it's really hard to find similar models but thank you for the tip. i will look into it. and would i have to change the ECU also because im converting? i really need to look more into this. also if it's not too much of a bother. do you know if ITB's can pass smog? im really thinking about getting them but im just wondering about the process and all.
2many2sAW11

5 posts [100%]
knoxville tn

Re: Converting auto to manuel? (Randomist) » Reply  Edit

i dont know if you have already done the swap/given up on the swap but you need the 5 spd trans. clutch pedal, hydraulic line, master and slave cyl, shifter w/ linkages, and a new clutch. if you want i can do a write up on the whole process. the ecu and wiring works with both. just let me know if anyone wants me to make a post on it

current cars:
85 aw11
86 aw11
88 aw11(20 valve)
78 280z turbo

i have a slight addiction :P

Rey Trossi

637 posts [100%]
Bay Shore NY

Re: Converting auto to manuel? (2many2sAW11) » Reply  Edit

I just did the swap like a month ago. Car feels a lot faster. The is two issues that I have to solve one that the overdrive light in the dash keeps blinking and that the rpm is a bit high. But was not very hard to do. I had a non running 85 mr2 so I took everything I needed from that one. I should have done the swap a long time ago. Now planning to install a better trany I have a c50 from the 85 mr2. No issues with the trany so far. Would love to install a 6spd.

» Return to Cars - MR2 (AW, SW, ZZW)