Included Logo Page

The Old CLUB4AG FORUM ARCHIVE

For reference only, all new posts and communications should be posted in the new forums at http://club4ag.com/forums

My Profile | Active Users | Member List | Search

Print  Email  Subscribe  RSS  Help
 just bought an 86 mr 2 for 250 $First  1 2 >  Last
Author Post
rooster

52 posts [98%]
solvay newyork

just bought an 86 mr 2 for 250 $ Reply  Edit

the car runs great and the body is in good shape also but i would like 2 install some performance upgrades where should i begin? it has the 16v 4A-GE engine

Mulder

284 posts [99%]
sandpoint id

Re: just bought an 86 mr 2 for 250 $ (rooster) » Reply  Edit

I did it in the following order:
New stiffer springs and struts
Upgrade brakes. Porterfield R4S pads, the larger 87+ MR2 rotors and mounting brackets, and stainless steel brake lines. Gotta be able to handle and stop before you want to go faster.
Then the power mods.

-Mulder
Black '86 MR2 20v

-I may be small but I am strong and I'll get it on with you!

rooster

52 posts [98%]
solvay newyork

Re: just bought an 86 mr 2 for 250 $ (Mulder) » Reply  Edit

yea im gunna enjoy the ride this summer an get it lookin nice i got a body kit on the way 2 hide a rust spots on the back qtr panels an get a deck an small sub for under the seat then ill take ur advice on the suspension but it needs break s rt now as the rotors are a lil warped from sittin for so long im not sure weather i wanna get performance breaks off the web or get cheap 1s from my local parts distributor i wanna do all the engine work over the winter while it ll b sittin in a garage neway an i wont feel rushed 2 get it done 2 drive

Mulder

284 posts [99%]
sandpoint id

All the suspension and steering bushings are probably in need of replacement too. That's on my to do list soon.

-Mulder
Black '86 MR2 20v

Randomist

259 posts [98%]
MT MEE QLD

http://twosrus.com/catalog/

i recomend the bushing kit and the short shifter kit off here

plus some new rotors, and GOOD brake pads, dont get the cheap ones for a aw11 or you will know about it

make sure you fix up all the rust before you chuck on the body kit, you dont want it coming back to haunt you,

better shocks and spring will help with the feel of the car, but also get tower strut bracing fron and rear, it does wonders

and a pod filter to give the motor more response

thats all the easy to do stuff covered XD

AW 11 - the original and the best

rooster

52 posts [98%]
solvay newyork

Re: just bought an 86 mr 2 for 250 $ (Randomist) » Reply  Edit

any idea where i can get a throttle cable lubrication kit the throttle cable or throttle body sticks im kinda scared 2 push the car as it is sometimes when i press the clutch the engine will rev up to 6 or 7000 rpms thanks for the link i dont wanna buy **** blindly off ebay. i was just gunna buy the car an sell it for a profit but i fell in love w/ it . i really have only done light auto work simple **** like brakes fuel power steering an water pumps i wanna put a 20 v blacktop in this winter im thinkin ill b able 2 make this swap w/ this site. should i change the tranny gearbox an driveshafts 2 handle the stronger engine ?
rooster

52 posts [98%]
solvay newyork

what is a pod filter an where do i find1 ?
rooster

52 posts [98%]
solvay newyork

just outta curiousity whats aw 11 go for w/ the 20 v swap already in it ???
Mulder

284 posts [99%]
sandpoint id

No, the stock tranny and axles handles the power just fine.

An AW11 with a 20v already swapped in go from $1500 for a junker to $3500 for a nicer example from the ones I've seen for sale. But for most people that's selling it at quite a loss, and those worthwhile 20v swapped cars are not often for sale. A friend of mine paid $4500 for a really nice one 6ish years ago when 20v swaps were still more rare.

-Mulder
Black '86 MR2 20v

Mulder

284 posts [99%]
sandpoint id

And for the throttle cable lube, I think you're supposed to use white lithium grease in a spray can, but it's nearly impossible to actually get the grease into the cable assembly without pulling the cable out. Replacing the cable might be the ultimate fix. It's not too hard. I pulled a spare throttle cable off a parts MR2 and it wasnt too hard. Most of the work is under the car.

-Mulder
Black '86 MR2 20v

Randomist

259 posts [98%]
MT MEE QLD

i just used wd-40 or rp-7 spray it onto the spring on the plenum, as well as the circular guide the cable sts in, be sure to get in around the pivot for it,

also, check a the bottom there is a small screw to adjust the butterfly, if this is too loose it will cause the butterfly to close too much and stick, and in turn it feels like the cable is sticking

good luck, i can post pictures if you cant find it ^_~

rooster

52 posts [98%]
solvay newyork

ha ha ha more under car work i guess now s the time 2 pull that throttle cable i got the car 2 ft in the air right now as im a cpl hrs into dropin the fuel tank 2 switch out the fuel pump... slightly more difficult than other fuel pumps ive changed as i usually buy SUV S hell u dont even gotta jack up my jeep 2 do a fuel pump im amazed at how ez everything has came apart an the fuel lines are all in really good shape tho
rooster

52 posts [98%]
solvay newyork

ill look for the butterfly tension screw tomorrow i have the air filter off so i could blast it w/ starting fluid so i could nurse the car 2 where i had 2 work on it so i see an air valve right beneath the air filter is that what i should look around for that screw?
Randomist

259 posts [98%]
MT MEE QLD

its on the bottom of the mechanism for the butterfly but on the outside directly below where the cable attaches on the motor side of the plenum, cant miss it, if i remember it was copper coloured, ive since replaced mine with another from somewhere else on the car ^_^ so be careful not to chew the head off, it may be a bit stuck, basically when you take your foot off the accelerator and the springs snaps the mechanism shut it butts straight onto this screw to stop it goin too far around if the screw undoes itself then the mechanism goes to far and jams the butterfly into the walls of the plenum and makes it stuck, not fun i assure you XD

rooster

52 posts [98%]
solvay newyork

so i got the new fuel pump in an its still not runnin im gunna try replaceing the fuel filter 2day it sucks that everytime i need a part im stuck waitin for a day or 2 for the part 2 arrive as i have 2 special order every part !!! i know that its gettin spark as i can make it run on starting fluid for a few min but when the starting fluid burns off the engine stalls ... i hope that the fuel pump i just installed isnt bad i bought it new but i got it off ebay for cheap!!! i only wanted it 2 last me the summer i was really tryin 2 save $ for it over the summer an then just do all my work on it over the winter
rooster

52 posts [98%]
solvay newyork

ne recomendation on shocks 2 go w/ that bushing kit randomist was recomending ?
Mulder

284 posts [99%]
sandpoint id

Well I spent like $500 for a cheap setup of KYB struts and Intrax lower and stiffer springs and have been happy with them. The sky's the limit. How much do you want to spend on suspension?

-Mulder
Black '86 MR2 20v

rooster

52 posts [98%]
solvay newyork

well id like 2 only spend a 2-3 hundred but i still want quality parts if i have 2 spend up 2 500 i will an the bushing kit link random gave i were goin for around 100 i think
Mulder

284 posts [99%]
sandpoint id

Yeah, I think you'll need to spend around $500 to get decent parts that wont fail within a year. If money is really tight, you could keep the stock springs and just replace the struts and bushings.

Also, dont forget to save $70 for an alignment afterwards.

-Mulder
Black '86 MR2 20v

rooster

52 posts [98%]
solvay newyork

yea $ is a lil tight right now i was thinkin id do the shocks in july or aug but i seen a set of baby blue tokico shocks on ebay for about 250$ i wonder how those would hold hold up?
Mulder

284 posts [99%]
sandpoint id

I've heard that Tokico has gone to crap for quality in the last few years. Lots of stories of them blowing out quickly. I dont remember which color means which quality for the Tokicos, but you definitely dont want the bottom tier. Maybe yellows are the bottom and blues are ok. I dont recall.

-Mulder
Black '86 MR2 20v

rooster

52 posts [98%]
solvay newyork

ill keep that in mind an with that advice ill stayaway from the tokico s ive gotta get my gas tank back in 2nite im gunna make it run 2nite even if i gotta jump out that relay
rooster

52 posts [98%]
solvay newyork

igot the car half way back together an i heavily doped the relay w/ wd40 an that fuel pump fired right up drove it home an it ran great shut the car off and it wouldnt start back up is it possible 2 pull the relay apart an clean an lubricate ne moving parts if so any advice ?
Mulder

284 posts [99%]
sandpoint id

I've never had troubles with relays, so I can't help you there. I'd say finding a spare would be the best bet.

-Mulder
Black '86 MR2 20v

mr220v

1246 posts [100%]
Atlanta GA

» Reply  Edit

If you're looking for a circuit opening relay, you can grab one from just about any toyota. Some of them had a little bit different plug, so be on the lookout for that.

Email questions to mr220v@gmail.com
rooster

52 posts [98%]
solvay newyork

Re: (mr220v) » Reply  Edit

yea ive spoke w/ the parts guy @ my local toyota dealer an he said they use alot of the same relays in different cars he also says the relays r interchangeable for example my efi relay is the same as my ac relay however i took the relay all apart an the coils r in great shape on the open circuit relay however my contacts were beat which is y my fuel pump wouldnt run and i was only getting 8 volts to the fuel pump i filed all the carbon off the contacts w/ a nail file an it starts right up. now i gotta go buy new bolts an screws that my friend lost as he was tryin 2 help me ... he wound up bein more of hinderance than a help lol
rooster

52 posts [98%]
solvay newyork

Re: (mr220v) » Reply  Edit

the car had sat for 8 yrs b4 i got my hands on it so i keep findin sticky or dirty relays all the time but it was kept in a garage so there is little rust on the body an bolts seem 2 come out ez enough a lil bit of PB blaster goes a long way
rooster

52 posts [98%]
solvay newyork

ok its time 4 breaks where do i find them an if i use the larger rotors from the 87 do i have 2 change the hubs aswell??
Mulder

284 posts [99%]
sandpoint id

I bought the 87+ rotors from Napa.
I bought the stainless steel goodrich brake lines from nopi.com for $120ish I think.
I bought the Porterfield R4S pads from porterfield directly.

To switch to the 87+ rotors you'll need new caliper mounting brackets from the 87+ car. I bought a set from a friend who had a parts car for $20. I think you only need them on the front, but dont recall for sure. The back rotors might be the same size. But no changes are needed in the hub or the caliper to make the switch.

-Mulder
Black '86 MR2 20v

rooster

52 posts [98%]
solvay newyork

can i find porterfield online??? and i know a guy w/ a mr 2 parts car but im not sure what year it is id like 2 keep the caliper s an break lines for now but i deff need pads and rotors on all 4 im down 2 the squeallers in the back an the front rotors must b warped on the back side front s smooth but the wheel shakes when comin off the highway
 First  1 2 >  Last

» Return to Cars - MR2 (AW, SW, ZZW)