Included Logo Page

The Old CLUB4AG FORUM ARCHIVE

For reference only, all new posts and communications should be posted in the new forums at http://club4ag.com/forums

My Profile | Active Users | Member List | Search

Print  Email  Subscribe  RSS  Help
 just bought an 86 mr 2 for 250 $First  < 1 2   Last
Author Post
Mulder

284 posts [99%]
sandpoint id

Re: just bought an 86 mr 2 for 250 $ (rooster) » Reply  Edit

You wont be able to see with your eye a warped rotor. When my front rotors were very badly warped I took them both off and set them on a flat table. They looked perfectly flat still. But I took them to the shop and had them turned on the lathe. He guy said they were so warped he had to turn them twice. If your steering wheel shudders when braking, it's your front rotors that are warped. Should only be $20-$30 to have them turned and they'll be good as new. Easier than buying new rotors.

http://www.porterfield-brakes.com/ I'm using the R4-S pads, which are great for street and autocross. But if you're doing a track day or an extended run down a mountain, once they get too hot they loose friction and fade quickly and wear away fast. I've often pulled over to let them cool for a minute and then start again.

If you don't want to upgrade to the larger 87+ rotors, that's fine. But the smaller '86 rotors will warp again a little bit easier and fade a little bit faster due to less surface area to distribute heat.

But you should still do the stainless steel brake lines. It's a easy switch and gives a rock hard brake pedal with amazing feel and control. Those old rubber lines that are on the car make the pedal feel much spongy-er. In addition, old rubber lines can burst and then your brake pedal will fall to the floor while you're coming down that twisty mountain. Brakes are the #1 most important system on a car, and if you're going to drive it aggresively, with more power later, you should have SS brake lines. It could easily be a matter of life or death. I know several people who have had their rubber brakes lines burst. Thankfully none of them were in a really dangerous spot.

-Mulder
Black '86 MR2 20v

-I may be small but I am strong and I'll get it on with you!

rooster

52 posts [98%]
solvay newyork

Re: just bought an 86 mr 2 for 250 $ (Mulder) » Reply  Edit

im not 2 agressive of a driver an there are no real mountains here cpl of windy roads but nothin i can really push the car 2 its limits on ... i would like 2 use the bigger rotors simply for the reliabily of them and ss breaklines id love 2 get however im lookin @ about a 200 $ budget i cant get my rotors turned here as no places really do it here nemore they all ask that u just buy new rotors ... tryin 2 stimulate the economy an crap lol but i have 2 get the front rotors done an the back pads inorder 4 the car just 2 pass inspection i appreciate the link an this winter ill have the car up on ramps an ill b able 2 switch out the breaklines ez enough an ill prbly also do the fuel lines an fuel pump as im not sure that a stock fuel pump will b able 2 keep up w/ a 20 valve engine which is my main goal of the winter however i understand all that power is nice but it means nothing if i cant stop an the car doesnt handle well... im gunna have 2 talk w/ my boss about a raise bc im gunna have a constant need for car parts lol
Mulder

284 posts [99%]
sandpoint id

The stock fuel pump works just fine with a 20v engine. No need to replace it unless you want a newer unit.

-Mulder
Black '86 MR2 20v

Randomist

259 posts [98%]
MT MEE QLD

if you have to buy new rotors they should not cost you mre than 100 $ a pair or thereabouts as getting basic ones are cheap and easy, the mr2 from 88-89 or so used the same as a ae82 carolla, only backwards hub wise, but the rotors are cheap as

AW 11 - the original and the best

rooster

52 posts [98%]
solvay newyork

Re: just bought an 86 mr 2 for 250 $ (Randomist) » Reply  Edit

rotors r cheap but i wanted 2 try mulders suggestion an put the larger rotors for a 87+ he says i need the caliper bracket from those years in order 2 make it work

rooster

52 posts [98%]
solvay newyork

Re: just bought an 86 mr 2 for 250 $ (Randomist) » Reply  Edit

tryin 2 find toyota s in the junkyard here is soooooo hard especially from the 80 s lol
Mulder

284 posts [99%]
sandpoint id

Yeah, it's hard to fine MR2 stuff in junkyards everywhere. Anytime a new one shows up at the local one here, it's completely stripped to a frame within a couple months, but nearly completely gone after a couple weeks.

-Mulder
Black '86 MR2 20v

rooster

52 posts [98%]
solvay newyork

i gotta tell ya man i really like this car im dyin 2 find out how much fun this car is with a 20 valve ???
Mulder

284 posts [99%]
sandpoint id

I bet if you post in the fun section or on the MR2OC.com you can find someone in NY who has a 20v one and get a ride. Or you can always make a road trip to Idaho and ride in mine. Hell, if you came that far, you'd deserve to drive it too.

-Mulder
Black '86 MR2 20v

rooster

52 posts [98%]
solvay newyork

cool thanks man im drivin 2 idaho netime soon but ill deff check out the site... ne ideas on where i can mount a 12 in sub ???
Mulder

284 posts [99%]
sandpoint id

I've seen that done a couple ways. One of my friends mounted it essentially in his glove box, with the face sticking out of the dash beneath the glove box. Looked nicely done that way.

Years ago I was in circuit city and came across an infinity sub and amp all built together into a small box. It sounded fantastic (the best of all the display models there in the store) and I thought that it would fit nicely behind the passenger seat. But I never bought one.

You could always build a box that would fit behind the seat easy enough.

-Mulder
Black '86 MR2 20v

rooster

52 posts [98%]
solvay newyork

yea i built a custom box with a shallow 12 in pioneer an mounted it behind the seat ... lucky 4 me im not a big guy lol
Mulder

284 posts [99%]
sandpoint id

Even if you are a big guy, you can just stick it behind the passenger seat. Photos of your creation?

-Mulder
Black '86 MR2 20v

rooster

52 posts [98%]
solvay newyork

ill deff post some pic s up once i get it all finished ... i kinda got it cobbed in 4 now as i was pressed 4 time durring the install ... just outta curiousity when u made the 20 v swap did u change the tranny 2 or did u just leave the stock tranny in and beef up the clutch ????
Mulder

284 posts [99%]
sandpoint id

I did both. My first 20v swap I used the original 16v tranny with a new clutch because the engine didnt come with a tranny. My second 20v (after the first one died) came with a tranny and so I used it instead after modifying it to accept the shift linkage on the front side. The later model tranny shifted much smoother. It also allowed me to put the started on the intake side, which is a much easier spot to replace it when needed and didnt require modifying the exhaust header.

-Mulder
Black '86 MR2 20v

Mulder

284 posts [99%]
sandpoint id

Oh, and the stock 16v clutch and pressure plate will work fine with the 20v for launches up to about 4500RPM. If you launch higher than that, it will slip.

-Mulder
Black '86 MR2 20v

rooster

52 posts [98%]
solvay newyork

cool thanks man i never launch ne higher than 4500 neways thats more than enuff 2 lite up the tires if it makes it an ezier swap 2 change the tranny an the engine all @ once then thats what ill do i was thinkin it might b better 2 keep the stock tranny but if not then ill switch it all out

dukekant

28 posts [100%]
Neepawa MB

» Reply  Edit

also for an easier to find front brake upgrade you could use celica gts or gt? caliper early 90's it has a 57mm piston and the bracket i for 25 mm disks need redrilled or just use face lift... (also
cressidia brakets and calipers can be used of a certain year but cant remember, same caliper as the celica but hangers are for a 22mm [same as a facelift aw11] one weekend i spent WAY too much time in a pick a part yard taking parts off of one toyota and trying to bolt it onto a face lift aw11, i went to get the facelift calipers but was beaten to the calipers/brackets).. some good info http://www.marcmedina.com/MR2suspension.html
 First  < 1 2   Last

» Return to Cars - MR2 (AW, SW, ZZW)