Included Logo Page

The Old CLUB4AG FORUM ARCHIVE

For reference only, all new posts and communications should be posted in the new forums at http://club4ag.com/forums

My Profile | Active Users | Member List | Search

Print  Email  Subscribe  RSS  Help
 4age silvertop tuning
Author Post
snow_flakes

24 posts [100%]
Cavite

4age silvertop tuning Reply  Edit

hi guys, just have a quick question..

which timming should i use on my 4age silvertop?

im currently running on BT ecu,28 mm. velostacks hidden inside my plenum,2.25" pipings with an 11.5" length resonator that came with my SR jasma exhaust however i feel that my timming is way too retard and i feel slugish at low rpms;however when it reaches 3k onwards to cutoff it seems that power is like endless i was just wondering if which timming will i use to improve my low end rpm a bit responsive.. inputs are much appreciated..

thanks!

hellbillylarry

317 posts [99%]
Marietta GA

Re: 4age silvertop tuning (snow_flakes) » Reply  Edit

It feels sluggish at low revs because it has no torque. It's a 20v.

As far as timing I run mine as far advanced as I can get it and back it off a hair. Prob 16degrees but I can't remember. It's easy to change so just use your butt dyno.

mekanick

808 posts [98%]
Bakersfield Ca

» Reply  Edit

If the low end sucks and the top is good then the timing is too advanced. Just set it to factory settings and if you still have the same problem then its something else

FX16 motor parts:
http://forums.club4ag.com/zerothread?id=82072
snow_flakes

24 posts [100%]
Cavite

Re: (mekanick) » Reply  Edit

it was originally on retard timming for about 15 degrees and VVT kicks @ 5,000rpm so what i did earlier is advanced it a bit, so instead of having a 15 degrees retartd timming i moved it to 13 degress and so far VVT now kicks at 4,000rpm; however i did not use a timming gun for that.. will it harm my engine if a made a bit of adjustments on the timming? im trying to get and observe if which timming will be suitable for my driving needs and will be using my car on a quartert mile during weekends for some street races..

inputs are greatly appreciated! thanks guys!

snow_flakes

24 posts [100%]
Cavite

» Reply  Edit

it was originally on retard timming for about 15 degrees and VVT kicks @ 5,000rpm so what i did earlier is advanced it a bit, so instead of having a 15 degrees retartd timming i moved it to 13 degress and so far VVT now kicks at 4,000rpm; however i did not use a timming gun for that.. will it harm my engine if a made a bit of adjustments on the timming? im trying to get and observe if which timming will be suitable for my driving needs and will be using my car on a quartert mile during weekends for some street races..
inputs are greatly appreciated! thanks guys!

hellbillylarry

317 posts [99%]
Marietta GA

Re: (mekanick) » Reply  Edit

Quote, originally posted by mekanick »
If the low end sucks and the top is good then the timing is too advanced. Just set it to factory settings and if you still have the same problem then its something else

If the low end sucks and you have good top end you are driving a 20v.

@op

If you had your ignition timing retarded to 15 degrees I'd be surprised if it would even start. If t did it would have no power at all try advancing the timing 15 degrees. I thing spec
Is probably 12degrees BTDC.

mekanick

808 posts [98%]
Bakersfield Ca

» Reply  Edit

If youre not using a timing light then how are you giving us all these numbers its supposedly set at?

FX16 motor parts:
http://forums.club4ag.com/zerothread?id=82072
snow_flakes

24 posts [100%]
Cavite

» Reply  Edit

when it was set to 15 degrees retard i used a timming light; however when i tried to set it to 13 degress "i guess " retard instead i just moved the distributor a bit forward going to the firewall.. i just hope i did it right though..
hellbillylarry

317 posts [99%]
Marietta GA

Re: (snow_flakes) » Reply  Edit

Unless your distributor has been out ignition timing is not your problem. Just advance it almost all the way. It has a knock sensor you are not going to blow it up.

If it feels good and you hear no pings you are good to go.

Like I said mine is at close to 16btdc and feels great. When I set it to 12 to pass emissions you could tell a big difference in low end response.

HASportAE86
IE Gutter Trash

4096 posts [84%]
Loma Linda CA

Re: (hellbillylarry) » Reply  Edit

lol.....stop saying your timing is RETARDED 15 degrees. The spark actually happens before the piston gets to the top, or BTDC (before top dead center). Stock 20v ignition timing is 10-12 degrees advanced. Bust out the timing light again and make sure the mark is strobing between the 15 and 10 degree notches on the timing cover.

And 20v's have no bottom end torque.

Email/Paypal "heyvanilladan@hotmail.com"

SwangBiz Chassis Products
http://forums.club4ag.com/zero...age=1
MFactory Longer T50 5th Gear Group Buy
http://forums.club4ag.com/zerothread?id=113077
Loud Pipes Save Lives -Swangbiz

Honda Master Technician/ASE Master Technician

Grant

3656 posts [86%]
San Jose ca

» Reply  Edit

I disagreee, with my 4-2-1 header and stand alone, the torque is surprisingly nice.

Stand Alone ECU tuning. Message me for details.

Looking to buy a corolla manual rack and a TRD 3 gear transmission.
*also wtb 4 point roll cage/bar for ae86 coupe

Sam_Q

579 posts [99%]
Australia vic

» Reply  Edit

yeah no bottom end torque until you throw the original ecu in the bin.

I am surprised no one has mentioned about putting the ecu into diagnostics mode before checking the timing

My website - conversion parts, articles, services...

s-86.com

-20v RWD conversion parts for sale

hellbillylarry

317 posts [99%]
Marietta GA

Re: (Grant) » Reply  Edit

What ems for 20v? Where is the fault in the stock tuning?
Sam_Q

579 posts [99%]
Australia vic

Re: (hellbillylarry) » Reply  Edit

any basic ems should work, a 20V is a simple engine.

The fault in the stock tuning is a crude fuel map and a massive lack of mid range ignition advance.

This is not even counting the false knock and leaking cap problems

My website - conversion parts, articles, services...

s-86.com

-20v RWD conversion parts for sale

» Return to Engine - 4A-GE 20V