Included Logo Page

The Old CLUB4AG FORUM ARCHIVE

For reference only, all new posts and communications should be posted in the new forums at http://club4ag.com/forums

My Profile | Active Users | Member List | Search

Print  Email  Subscribe  RSS  Help
 Something for you "bogging BT 20v guys" to look at--->
Author Post
HASportAE86
IE Gutter Trash

4096 posts [84%]
Loma Linda CA

Something for you "bogging BT 20v guys" to look at---> Reply  Edit

http://www.my-acoustic.com/Car...m.htm

problems with the BT ecus apparently. I've never came across this problem but hey, it takes like 5 minutes to unscrew the ecu plate and check so why not right?

Modified by HASportAE86 at 9:12 PM 1/24/2011

Email/Paypal "heyvanilladan@hotmail.com"

SwangBiz Chassis Products
http://forums.club4ag.com/zero...age=1
MFactory Longer T50 5th Gear Group Buy
http://forums.club4ag.com/zerothread?id=113077
Loud Pipes Save Lives -Swangbiz

Honda Master Technician/ASE Master Technician

balmo

4927 posts [100%]
Brentwood CA

Re: Something for you "bogging BT 20v guys" to look at---> (HASportAE86) » Reply  Edit

so does that mean when the vvt transistor is blown, the circuit to the vvt solenoid is completed turning the vvt on?
ronny
RnD Office - Ronny

7077 posts [89%]
Irvine CA

Re: Something for you "bogging BT 20v guys" to look at---> (balmo) » Reply  Edit

great find dan! you are the 20v guru.. Sticky it up

VOLK TE37 only....!

project plan- 86 TWINKIES - has Begun..

Basketweaving M-F 7pm plz contact superstarlevin for enrollment

:thumbup:

HASportAE86
IE Gutter Trash

4096 posts [84%]
Loma Linda CA

Re: Something for you "bogging BT 20v guys" to look at---> (balmo) » Reply  Edit

Quote, originally posted by balmo »
so does that mean when the vvt transistor is blown, the circuit to the vvt solenoid is completed turning the vvt on?

VVT solenoid will never activated and the engine will feel as though it has no mid range power, only power above 6k. It's hard to tell if this circuit failure will result in misfires or anything else, internal pcm failures tend to do some funky things.

I'm wondering if a little research could get the part number for just that transistor. All you would have to do then is just de-solder and solder in a new one. Pretty sure it would be a sh!tload cheaper than getting a new ecu.

oldeskewltoy

13133 posts [99%]
Portland

Re: Something for you "bogging BT 20v guys" to look at---> (HASportAE86) » Reply  Edit

Quote, originally posted by HASportAE86 »

I'm wondering if a little research could get the part number for just that transistor. All you would have to do then is just de-solder and solder in a new one. Pretty sure it would be a sh!tload cheaper than getting a new ecu.

Hmmmm, but I wonder.... how long would it last? Just thinking if the factory units burn one out 20% of the time.... Might it need a superior part?

Hmmm, or would the silvertop one work in its place????????

Information is POWER... learn the facts!!

http://www.toyodiy.com/parts/ USE it!

I've been wrong before... and at somepoint in time, I'll be wrong again

balmo

4927 posts [100%]
Brentwood CA

Re: Something for you "bogging BT 20v guys" to look at---> (oldeskewltoy) » Reply  Edit

I'm not familiar with electronics, but if all TO-126 transistors work the same, then it can be replace for about a buck each, maybe cheaper.

jondee86
Reggae Rules...

4374 posts [96%]
Wellington, NZ

If I remember correctly, that article suggests fitting a heatsink to the transistor
to help it live long and prosper

There should also be some reference on that site to "leaking capacitors" on ST ECU's.
These contribute to many "not running good" problems.

Cheers... jondee86

jondee86 has been a member for 735,126 days.

Give a person a fish, they eat for a day. Suggest they search before posting, and they learn a skill for a lifetime.

gotzoom

961 posts [99%]
Silicon Valley CA

Re: Something for you "bogging BT 20v guys" to look at---> (jondee86) » Reply  Edit

Those transistors can accept a heatsink. You probably want the heatsink to be as close to the size of the transitor as possible. Oversized is not better. Be sure and use heatsink compound and teflon bolts to hold the heatsink on, and make sure the heatsink doesn't touch anything.

Bay Area Autocross Forum
85 Corolla GTS Mild mannered road car
86 Corolla GTS Time Attack build in progress
99 Sport Miata CS #94
02 Miata daily driver chick car
mr220v

1246 posts [100%]
Atlanta GA

» Reply  Edit

There are the various components on the ecu pcb that can be blown. The TPS is a common culprit for bogging. Faulty/cheap o2's are also pretty commonly the issue. A used oem toyota o2 out of the junkyard is better than a brand new bosch generic.

Email questions to mr220v@gmail.com
The Bloody Panda

394 posts [99%]
Lebanon OH

Oh man, could this be what my problem has been all along? I feel as though there must be something wrong with my setup but no one around here has a 20V for me to compare to. But I can't drift below 6000rpms, every time it falls below that the rpms start to drop off even though I'm flooring it. Of course I still haven't checked my VVT solenoid and have already switched ECUs once. I think I better try to switch out the VVT first.
elmerkit

351 posts [100%]
carson la

» Reply  Edit

This would be a great help to all bt users and even with st just wondering why does japan used this kind of transistors and capacitors in the first place.

"On sale Itp tires and ATV tires"

HASportAE86
IE Gutter Trash

4096 posts [84%]
Loma Linda CA

Re: (elmerkit) » Reply  Edit

Quote, originally posted by elmerkit »
why does japan used this kind of transistors and capacitors in the first place.

One of my teachers told me this and I think of it from time to time when I encounter "dumb engineering" while wrenching:

Consider the fact that Toyota sold 1.36 million Corollas in 2005 around the world. Say you need three of these transistors for every ECU and they are $0.25 each from Maker A and $0.30 each from Maker B. That's only a $0.05 difference....

$0.05 x 3 transistors needed in each ECU= $0.15 difference
$0.15 X 1.36 million= $204,00.00
Say that model is made for a decent 7yr run...
$204,000.00 x 7yrs =$1,428,000

You just saved the company $1.5 million dollars by switching to a part that is 5 cents cheaper to produce. This is usually the reason why things are as dumb as they are or never seem to last as long as they should.

onelungderryl

2642 posts [87%]
American Canyon CA

» Reply  Edit

vvti engages at start up right? this could be my hard start problem! im gonna check this out. my car is slow as balls.

blog -> http://onelungderryl.blogspot.com/
MayanWarrior

3273 posts [96%]
925 CA

» Reply  Edit

Will the fuse being blown throw a CEL?

I've had vtak before on my 20v but int time at the track the CEL went on and stayed on once I hit 4400rpm. Car still ran but vtak didnt work. It's either the little fuse thing broke or the solenoid on the manifold is bad

who can? the mexi-CAN!
I'm not a ricer, I'm a beaner
BrentMorehouse

52 posts [100%]
Corona Del Mar CA

Dudes... sorry if this post is a little off topic... but It may interest everyone regarding the BT ECU and custom mods.

I run a BT in my race car - installed it with the stock ECU - cam'd it to 272 I/E - removed the VVT pulley.

At the track last weekend (CA Speedway in Fontana) I was adjusting the Cam Gears and timing -- trying desperately to beat my buddy on Sunday! Anyway, the adjustments were worse.. so I put everything back to the settings I had before..

...but, I forgot one thing... I left the ECU advanced timing pins crossed! I.e. you have to cross two pins on the ECU when you use a timing light -- this disables the ECU from advancing/retarding the ignition timing.

Well.... I went on the track ... and the car never ran better!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_fYSKQX8RxU

The Bloody Panda

394 posts [99%]
Lebanon OH

Re: Something for you "bogging BT 20v guys" to look at---> (BrentMorehouse) » Reply  Edit

Very interesting, makes me want to cross those pins for one drift run and see what happens.
skidracer66

4 posts [100%]
Lynnwood WA

» Reply  Edit

Im Just getting to know my 20V. Some times taking off from stop, it'll rev properly, then hesitate and kick hard like the vvt kicks on and still at half throttle the reves jump to about 7 grand and the rubber gets laid. does it some times cruising down the hiway too. Shesa jealous engine too, always does it when my wife gets in the car. ALWAYS! Does that have any link to this problem?
benziin

1 posts [100%]
hamilton waikato

you guys are a wealth of infomation thanks heaps...i saw this an first thing i did was pull the top off the ecu an thoroughly check it but it was sweet as. next i pulled out the vvt solinoid an checked/cleaned etc an it worked without fail. idle control all mint etc so the next thing is the knock sensor iv heard **** themselves to so ma ignition retards itself so far it bogs to almost a standstill pretty much like describe on dis thread. ill get there but big thanks for gettin me this far you guys are awesome!!!
MazterDizazter

259 posts [100%]
Marshfield MA

» Reply  Edit

Yes! Thank you. My BT has been running like doo-doo in the past month. Not to say that this is the definitive problem until I crack the ECU open, but I would not be in the least bit surprised.

Only other thing I can think of is worn ignition components, but wouldn't it still run poorly at WOT with a cracked cap or worn rotor? Mine pulls hard at WOT but everything until that point is garbage.

1987 Toyota MR2 hardtop
20v blacktop 4A-GE
Ground control, Koni, Cusco, ST
XXR, Toyo, Wilwood, EBC, Odyssey
Recaro, MOMO, Fidanza, SPEC

titus86

336 posts [100%]
spartanburg sc

Re: (MazterDizazter) » Reply  Edit

Opened my ecu up and that isnt the issue:( next thing is to replace the vvt selinoid.

name: Titus Yang
car: 1984 ae86 hatch
model: sr5 with gts full conversion
engine: ae111 "blacktop" 4age (in the works)
suspension: D2 sports 36way adjustable

Sam_Q

579 posts [99%]
Australia vic

» Reply  Edit

going for a drive with and without your vvt solenoid plugged in will tell you if something is wrong there.

My website - conversion parts, articles, services...

s-86.com

-20v RWD conversion parts for sale

titus86

336 posts [100%]
spartanburg sc

Re: (Sam_Q) » Reply  Edit

Thats what i did sam. Been running her for awhile unplugged. So i figured that be the issue. However the other issue is how to take it off lol. I took the two bolts off but the sensor is still stuck and not budging.

name: Titus Yang
car: 1984 ae86 hatch
model: sr5 with gts full conversion
engine: ae111 "blacktop" 4age (in the works)
suspension: D2 sports 36way adjustable

trdpow2

373 posts [100%]
Chicago IL

Im having problems with my 20V silvertop with megasquirt stand alone...It boggs between 4k & 5k like there is very little gas...After 5k and the vvt-i kicks in it runs great....I notice my tps sensor is not working,could that be a problem...You unplug it and it doesnt do anything...Please help....Thanks...
GtsTone23

3595 posts [99%]
Chicago IllaNoise

Re: Something for you "bogging BT 20v guys" to look at---> (trdpow2) » Reply  Edit

Modified by GtsTone23 at 9:54 PM 7/26/2012

"Behind every Successful Man lies a Pack of HATERS,
If they aint Hating Now, They'll be Hating Later"
~GtsTone23~

trdpow2

373 posts [100%]
Chicago IL

Re: Something for you "bogging BT 20v guys" to look at---> (GtsTone23) » Reply  Edit

Replaced TPS sensor from a 2JZ supra new one from toyota and it fixed the problem...Runs real good now and doesnt eat so much gas now....And replaced new spark plugs from toyota too....Cant wait to take out again for another spin tomorrow with my friend Lem with his RHD AE92...
Sam_Q

579 posts [99%]
Australia vic

» Reply  Edit

that's really surprising I have never heard of a faulty TPS before

My website - conversion parts, articles, services...

s-86.com

-20v RWD conversion parts for sale

trdpow2

373 posts [100%]
Chicago IL

Re: (Sam_Q) » Reply  Edit

Yep....Mine was not working at all...But now it runs alot better and idles alot better too...

» Return to Engine - 4A-GE 20V