Included Logo Page

The Old CLUB4AG FORUM ARCHIVE

For reference only, all new posts and communications should be posted in the new forums at http://club4ag.com/forums

My Profile | Active Users | Member List | Search

Print  Email  Subscribe  RSS  Help
 AW11 fmic?
Author Post
Carbon

4 posts [100%]
dublin

AW11 fmic? Reply  Edit

hey,
so thinking of turboing the mk1 mr2 and was wondering, is it posible to install a front mount intercooler behind the front bumper? As the engine is in the back how what route would the pipes take? has any1 done this and have some pics?
thanks

Grant

3656 posts [86%]
San Jose ca

» Reply  Edit

There would be a lot of turbo lag and poor throttle response having so much piping. I've heard of turbos out at the back of the car though, so I guess it could be done.

Rather than do something so strange, why not put a large intercooler on top or next to the engine, and have a powerful electric fan on top.

Stand Alone ECU tuning. Message me for details.

Looking to buy a corolla manual rack and a TRD 3 gear transmission.
*also wtb 4 point roll cage/bar for ae86 coupe

Carbon

4 posts [100%]
dublin

Re: (Grant) » Reply  Edit

yea i suppose ther would, i just wondered because i seen a pic with a fmic behind the front bumper and wondered how and is it commonly done, but as you say the electric fan would be the job, cheers
rondawg

489 posts [98%]
SoCal

Re: (Carbon) » Reply  Edit

MR2 crowds will tell you to do a TMIC instead. Go over to http://www.mr2oc.com and check out all the SWs with TMICs. TMIC = Trunk Mount InterCooler.

86 Corolla GTS - 16v ITB
87 MR2 Hi-Comp
92 MR2 Turbo GT30R
92 SC400
96 Land Cruiser - Lock'd
06 530i Sport

feral4mr2

496 posts [100%]
WA

Re: (killer_siller) » Reply  Edit

indeed, a w2a is what i use on my aw11's.

carbon, the i/c's you've seen in pics etc. are in fact heat exchangers for w2a intercoolers. no-one runs front mount a2a i/c's on aw11's, it doesnt make sense.

DIM spec 87 AW11. 4agte @ 12psi. aka: the feral. :P
JDM 89 AW11. twincharged auto @ 18psi. aka: lil feral. ;)
ADM 88 AW11 4age high comp bigport track beater. aka: vermin. =)
Diahatsu Feroza. Turbo pow'd @ 4.5psi sand eater. aka: tufferoza. :o
Randomist

259 posts [98%]
MT MEE QLD

Re: (feral4mr2) » Reply  Edit

HAHAHA i saw a sw20 once with a fmic, but the guy who owned the car was a complete f-wit so it wasnt any surprise, i bet it worked llike crap

w2a or tmic are both very good ways to go because its so easy to just run the pipes into the boot and mount a fan, but another way i have seen is to move the battery if its a aw11 and mount the intercooler over the gearbox on the left side with a fan and put in a snorkel, also another good one i have seen was mounted flat between the gearbox and forward firewall and had a long thin duct under the car directing air up into it, that one worked really well

AW 11 - the original and the best

supraman87

79 posts [100%]
lynchburg va

Re: (Carbon) » Reply  Edit

There is a pic of a turbo aw11 that has a front mount in the grill But he's not using it in the convintianl way. If you look closely you can see he welded the inlets shut and is running water through it, so it acts as a heat exchanger in a A2W system
elmerkit

351 posts [100%]
carson la

» Reply  Edit

I think best way to cool your turbo charge engine is to add a fmic, but it really depends on the engine location. In your case a hood scoop would be a lot better.

"On sale Itp tires and ATV tires"

» Return to Cars - MR2 (AW, SW, ZZW)