Included Logo Page

The Old CLUB4AG FORUM ARCHIVE

For reference only, all new posts and communications should be posted in the new forums at http://club4ag.com/forums

My Profile | Active Users | Member List | Search

Print  Email  Subscribe  RSS  Help
 FOUND...cheap 48mm weber velocity stacks for the silvertop.First  1 2 >  Last
Author Post
morgan

6446 posts [93%]
just be glad your not here, nj

FOUND...cheap 48mm weber velocity stacks for the silvertop. Reply  Edit

some people tend to use the 44mm velocity stacks from weber carbs, but as we know, theres a difference from the 48mm Silvertop ITB diameter. usually the sets go for about $60 for 4 shipped. I found a set of 48mm weber velocity stacks on the web after a lot of searching. i just ordered a set for myself, and each stack is under $7. thats under $28 for a set +shipping, which came out to just over $40. They are on their way right now so well see about fitment, im sure ill have to mod the mounting points, but figured i would share this great alternative to the $180 set at T3(they are super nice, but expensive.)
http://www.cbperformance.com/c...D=512
EDIT:fixed link, p/n=7224

Modified by morgan at 8:37 AM 1/25/2012

haha cali...i got one of you 86's, and your not getting it back.
my 20v in an 86 swap guide
my mess of an 86...
*east coast toyotas forum*
A fool takes no pleasure in understanding, but only in expressing his opinion.

karate_crimson

8228 posts [89%]
Southern CA

Re: FOUND...cheap 48mm weber velocity stacks for the silvertop. (morgan) » Reply  Edit

Good, very good! Plus they're shorter than my T3. And I bet Weber is quality.
morgan

6446 posts [93%]

Re: FOUND...cheap 48mm weber velocity stacks for the silvertop. (karate_crimson) » Reply  Edit

i dont believe they are actually made by Weber, they are just made for them.

my mess of an 86...
Buckethead

1740 posts [100%]
The Middle of Nowhere MN

Re: FOUND...cheap 48mm weber velocity stacks for the silvertop. (morgan) » Reply  Edit

I'm running the 6 inch "race stacks" from that same site I believe. I of course ran into mounting issues...and then I got creative. made some aluminum plates, great fit, and not terribly ugly.
I think Hbomb is running these same 6 inch stacks. I have yet to hear how they sound, but I imagine the process to mount the ones you bought would be the same. overall, still more affordable than other options... and you get that DIY feeling of accomplishment! lol

1985 AE86 GTS hatch
1985 AE86 GTS hatch 1UZFE
1988 AE82 FX16 GTS (project)

---------------------
Addicted to the 80's

morgan

6446 posts [93%]

Re: FOUND...cheap 48mm weber velocity stacks for the silvertop. (Buckethead) » Reply  Edit

6" huh? couldnt find any longer ones withthe same 48mm I.D., only 44mm I.D. and longer.

the holes need to be changed, so ill machine some washers too for it. got them in the other day, just haven't had time to work on it.

my mess of an 86...
eddie21

39 posts [100%]
los angeles ca

hey morgan i was intrested to know on how u managed to fix the mounting problem on the stacks cause of course the stack points dont match at all. so just wondering on what did u do and if u have any pics available to share thanks
morgan

6446 posts [93%]

Re: FOUND...cheap 48mm weber velocity stacks for the silvertop. (eddie21) » Reply  Edit

once i finish up, ill take pics and post them.

my mess of an 86...
Buckethead

1740 posts [100%]
The Middle of Nowhere MN

Hey Morgan, here's the mounting plates I made to mount my 6 inch stacks. I believe they're the same size at the base as yours. I had planned to bevel the edge of the larger hole, thats where theres a score mark larger than the itb. turns out I didn't need to. looking down the stack, there's no lip to the throttles, just smooth. turned out really well. all holes are tapped in the plates, there's no gap on either side. and still, a far more affordable option than other stacks...if you don't mind a little DIY look. I've since got some different bolts for the plates, I was just using the OEM stack bolts to mock it up

1985 AE86 GTS hatch

---------------------
Addicted to the 80's

morgan

6446 posts [93%]

Re: FOUND...cheap 48mm weber velocity stacks for the silvertop. (Buckethead) » Reply  Edit

nice work! i might just try that...

my mess of an 86...
eddie21

39 posts [100%]
los angeles ca

very good look buckethead what is the size to the template u made and can it be picked up at local hardware store ?

Buckethead

1740 posts [100%]
The Middle of Nowhere MN

Re: FOUND...cheap 48mm weber velocity stacks for the silvertop. (eddie21) » Reply  Edit

I wish I could say I put tons of thought into it lol went to a surplus metal outlet locally called Midwest Steel , picked up a section of 3/8 inch thick 5 inch wide, 30 inch long 6061 aluminum (it cost about $17, and I got extra on purpose cause I figured I'd mess up a little), placed a velocity stack on the bar, eyeballed it, drew a line to measure out my first rough plate, and basically duplicated it 3 more times.
started out looking like this...

it was a lot of ballparking, guess work, and winging it really. just worked off an idea in my head and it panned out well. As far as mounting the stack, you gotta get the correct length bolt if you mount them askew on the plate or they hit the itb's behind it. I believe I finally settled on M7 16mm bolts for mounting the stack to the plate. If I recall right, mounting the plate to the ITB uses the oem stack mounting bolt size of M8 1.25, but don't quote me on that.

1985 AE86 GTS hatch

---------------------
Addicted to the 80's

eddie21

39 posts [100%]
los angeles ca

oh k koo one again a very good job bro
whitetropics

200 posts [100%]
houston tx

you ever take any pics of the weber stacks installed and was there any mods have to be made to fit them
KennyBoBenny

185 posts [100%]
Pleasureville KY

Re: FOUND...cheap 48mm weber velocity stacks for the silvertop. (whitetropics) » Reply  Edit

I just made the end of the flange open so i could position it correctly. Used a bolt/washer to secure it.

20v AW11

morgan

6446 posts [93%]

Re: FOUND...cheap 48mm weber velocity stacks for the silvertop. (whitetropics) » Reply  Edit

im yet to make any progress on the ones i bought and started this thread about. as for the others, see above. real easy to do, thats what i did with my old ones.

my mess of an 86...
SCT

154 posts [99%]
Landover MD

Did they remove the velocity stacks off the site? I clicked the link but nothing... I saw a day ago.
morgan

6446 posts [93%]

Re: FOUND...cheap 48mm weber velocity stacks for the silvertop. (SCT) » Reply  Edit

the link changed, i searched the site and found them. i also corrected the 1st post with the correct link. thanks for the heads up.

my mess of an 86...
SCT

154 posts [99%]
Landover MD

Excellent I just bought four of them to see what I can do to get it bolted to the Blacktops' ITB.
whitetropics

200 posts [100%]
houston tx

the six inch stacks i got today are 45mm. Are you sure morgan that these stacks on the web site are 48mm at the base id like to see a pic or a conformation because it says fits 44-48 any one ?

Modified by whitetropics at 6:58 AM 2/12/2012
morgan

6446 posts [93%]

It's been a while but if I remember correctly, the I.D. of the short ones I bought are just a bit smaller than my ST ITBs. Was planning on making a fixture and putting them on a lathe to open them up just a bit

my mess of an 86...
morgan

6446 posts [93%]

ill dig these up from storage and get the measurements for you in a day or so.

my mess of an 86...
whitetropics

200 posts [100%]
houston tx

no worry's morgan I called cb performance and they grabbed the part and said it is 46mm at the bottom closest to the engine and they do not sell any 48mm ones that are bolt on

Modified by whitetropics at 8:09 AM 2/18/2012
4agzee

271 posts [99%]
w.v.c ut

» Reply  Edit

awesome!
Sam_Q

579 posts [99%]
Australia vic

Re: (4agzee) » Reply  Edit

46mm is too small, normally you have the largest diameter at the tip of the bell and the narrowest point at the choke in the port, with it tappered inbetween.

Those stacks are absurdly cheap but not of design very good for perfomance. However if the extra money is worth the extra performance then that's up to the person.

My website - conversion parts, articles, services...

s-86.com

-20v RWD conversion parts for sale

keiffer01

9 posts [100%]
Montreal Quebec

» Reply  Edit

Hi everyone! New to this forum! I mainly registered here because I had this question for a while: I have an 1986 MR2 with a stock silvertop swap. Morgan posted these up a while ago on this thread and SCT also bought some of them I think!

But I mostly wondered if these fitted:
http://www.cip1.ca/ProductDeta...2D199

Do these fit inside the stock silvertop plenum (take off stock brown trumpets and just bolt these in)? I read the thread but I'm not sure if you guys are talking about velocity stacks INSIDE the stock plenum or not. :S And if it does, is there any noticable gains with them? I read up on a another forum that a guy played with the stock trumpets a while ago and gained as much as 11hp out of them or something just by messing with them! I also think he said the smaller they are the better it actually is (inside the plenum of course). Thank you very much!

keiffer01

9 posts [100%]
Montreal Quebec

» Reply  Edit

No one? It would be very appreciated! Thanks in advance!
morgan

6446 posts [93%]

Re: (keiffer01) » Reply  Edit

i have a silvertop air box, ill see if the stacks i have will fit, but for the most part, the shape hinders tack fitment, look into this
Quote, originally posted by onelungderryl »

seen here...
http://forums.club4ag.com/zero...age=3

my mess of an 86...
keiffer01

9 posts [100%]
Montreal Quebec

» Reply  Edit

Alright thanks I'll wait for your measurements morgan! I really want to retain the afm and original silvertop ECU so any open air stacks = out of the question!
KennyBoBenny

185 posts [100%]
Pleasureville KY

Re: (keiffer01) » Reply  Edit

FYI, the picture I posted above are the 2 1/8" stack and they fit inside the stock silvertop box. Not a lot of room, though. Switching to a blacktop box made everything better.

20v AW11

keiffer01

9 posts [100%]
Montreal Quebec

Re: (KennyBoBenny) » Reply  Edit

Alright that's what I thought when I saw that picture but wasn't too sure! I think they look great! But you mentioned that there isn't a lot of room; can I close everything back together with the silvertop box easily without tinkering with the top cover? I don't plan on spending money on a blacktop box so I want to stay with the stock silvertop one. But really was it worth the trouble and money to put those in? Any differences (major or not) to stock (gains)? And lastly do you still have a link to the same exact ones as yours? Thank you very much and sorry for all the questions!
 First  1 2 >  Last

» Return to Engine - 4A-GE 20V