Included Logo Page

The Old CLUB4AG FORUM ARCHIVE

For reference only, all new posts and communications should be posted in the new forums at http://club4ag.com/forums

My Profile | Active Users | Member List | Search

Print  Email  Subscribe  RSS  Help
 VQ'ed AE86....nuff saidFirst  1 2 3 >  Last
Author Post
zudog1

1197 posts [96%]
chesapeake va

VQ'ed AE86....nuff said Reply  Edit

Begining of original thread Mar 26. 2011
http://nightslider.net/forum/v...t=148

Hey all names DeVaughn, sum call me Devo, Blacklavender?,etc. just wanted to post up alil bit of my build process, on 1/30/2011 I made the move to pull my 4AG motor set and sell off everything in favor of a newer more reliable power plant. Now the focus of this swap was not to make a power house or be the fastest, just to have a reliable motor that fit into the car well. SR20 was a thought but there getting very old and need rebuilding plus the hassle of blowing turbos. 1uz for cheap was another choice but the motor again is getting old and needs simple work but it takes alot to shoe horn it in the car plus the radiator usually ends up somewhere near the front of the car in harms way, the motor is heavier at 390lbs with trans, where the Vq is only about at 313 with tranny, and the 4ag comes in right around 276lbs with tranny, sr was about 328lbs. These are weights pulled off the internet so they arent prob perfect but close enough. Anyway to make a long story short I grabbed the VQ with low miles used, price, avalibilty, fit, great weight and 6speed tranny option. Soooo there she is, stripped old motor, sold to a new and happy owner and new motor delivered and waiting for install.

motor cam from illinois, shes a dirty bird on the outside, needs a pressure washing and scrub down. cant beat it for 900bucks!with harness and accessories.

got a 6 speed tranny local for 400bucks, new unused warrenty unit he had, there not in top demand so he let it go cheap.

mated it up and did a dry fit into the car, not too bad, this is as far as is got till the tranny got wedged in the tunnel lol, alot easier to fit after the firewall and tunnel mod for the tranny.

during the fitting process the fuel rail was very close to hitting the firewall so plus its a non return unit so i modded the rail for better fit and function.

welded some -6AN fittings to the rail and powder coated the rails satin black, you can barely see the new fuel cross over on the front of the rail system now.

powder coated the lower intake,water pipes and started to mod the shifter location to make it shorter.

still need to weld this up

took out the 3in" center section and welded it back together.
picked up a Craword intake cheap, its a good mod for the motor and with a intake spacer it would raise the intake up too much and hit the strutbar.

cleaned up the motor and replaced the old rusty valve cover bolts with stainless units, headers, lightweight flywheel, new clutch and added a oil cooler sandwich plate, Samco hoses and tuneup supplies. Going to work on it pretty hard today and mod the front cross member and steering rack postioning for a lower install.

Stoked to get it back to doing more of this, :sn:

Mar 31 2011
Jump a couple days, made a stay for the alternator, got some heims and stainless nutz to weld.

welded it...

cleaned it. powder coated it, and installed

Got my silicone hose kit

Also got my OBX thermal intake gasket for the lower plenum which rasies it just a hair more but should be fine.

Apr 07 2011
Didnt get a chance to work on it most of the week, but got to work on the weekend. I got to actually give her sometime, dropped the front crossmember, got the shifter bracket welded up and removed the old engine mounts. While I had the crossmember out and the suspension is apart I'm going to remake new LCAs and make a jig so I can start producing them. Moved the rack forward also and removed about a pound of 20yo grease :cj: .

ground it smoothed it and hit it with some sprayon bedliner stuffs.
dirty and freshly plasma cut.

Wire brushed and welded for reinforcement

this is where the rack originally sat

this is where it sits now

all done and ready to reinstall and fit the motor for mounts this weekend. Welded and filled the gaps in on the crossmember but it doest show well in the pic.

Also got custom brake lines made to now mount too the subframe and down the rails, not on the fire wall.

Modified by zudog1 at 12:49 PM 5/30/2011

zudog1

1197 posts [96%]
chesapeake va

Re: VQ'ed AE86....nuff said (zudog1) » Reply  Edit

Well today I wanted to fit the motor in and get it close to bolting up this weekend. I got to work early and pulled the dash the seats carpet cut the tunnel out, it really wasnt much material to cut really just need to make the hole taller not longer. Wedged the motor into place and noticed a couple new things I needed to mod up.

first blood has been spilled!! :twisted:

from this

too this

motor in and needs to go down some more

plans made for subframe spacing and notching to drop the block more

notched

cut some DOM tubing for the spacers and welded them up

reinstalled and motor fits great!

intake fitment! it actually sits alil lower and back about 3/4 an inch now ill get pics of that after shes hanging on her own weight :h
Mounts hopefully tomorrow and pull it for final welding and filling.

I didnt get started today till about 6 oclock, that really killed my momentum, it was a beautiful day here too. I also took the time to move the motor back another 3/5 of an inch which made a a cleaner fit. Cut the flanges off the exhaust cause they were hitting the firewall butis a easy fix, have to mod the drivers side header for steering clearence also.
Had to "dimple" the firewall for rear water pipe and sensor clearance.

Then I stared plasma cutting out the mounts and getting them ready to tack in place.

Move on to a couple hours later the rest of the pieces are cut dimpled and welded into place, thanks to Cody and Jordan for the help welding this thing up.

Tomorrow will hopefully be the trans mount if I can get the materials together. Now to sandblast and powdercoat it.

April 16 2011
Worked on it it alil more and....
boooom money shot!

Finally got everything together to make my tranny mount. Thanks to Touge Factory and there hellafast shipping, I got my S13 tranny mount in 2days!

drilled the tapped factory holes and to use the nicer heavier grade bolts that came with the kit and bolted it up, crazy that its a perfect fit after so long. Started making the bolt cups for my new tranny crossmember.

Simple DOM piping cut and a thickass washer welded to it.

Heres the look of it before ground smooth and the mount its self added.

***** cell pic but eveythings comming off once again for professional powdercoating.ordering the Drive shaft Monday morning and should have it by friday, DSS has awesome customer service. Tomorrow is finish cleaning up the floor from the old sound deading pull the motor and start the new tunnel.

april 17 2011
Only alil progress today, got a free camsensor and 2 coils from pick n pull. Cleaning the passengers and drivers floor boards in prep for welding and paint, tested the 350z pedal and it bolts up right in the factory spot, jus need to space it some for personal preference.Will have the crossmembers, sent off for powdercoat soon and the motor out for finalization this week if all goes well.

zudog1

1197 posts [96%]
chesapeake va

Apr 19 2011
Sent the yoke off to DSS for cutom aluminum driveshaft yesterday, should see it soon . Making templates tonight for the tunnel and might make some progress from cardboard to metal.
Apr 21 2011
throttle body spacer, Accusump and new carbonfiber Aerocatches on the way!!
Finished making the new tunnel cap today, pulled the motor and cleaned the floorpans for welding and recoating soon.

Going to finalize the crossmembers and send them off for professional powdercoating while everythings is getting remade and cleaned.

Apr 24 2011
I got a good amount of work done today, tunnel is welded in, firewall is sectioned in and holes welded for a smooth look, swtichwelded alil here and there along the way.

Then ground down the welds and primed and seam sealed the inside panels

the shiney section in the middle is for the trannys "backbone" to clear, added more shape too it also.

Finished smoothing the firewall and got it in primer today, ground the edges down on the tunnel and ruffed the tunnel into the floor.

Replacing the old "fero" catches with new carbon covered Aerocatches, the old ones will be up for sale soon.

Apr 27 2011
Since most of the hard work is done and Im so close to the floor Ive been repairing some of the rust the car has. None of it is terrible but needed attention, started on the easier side and got the passenger side almost completed tonight.
Old busted, rusted frame to floor brace.

lil abrasion from the wire wheel and some rust converter and weld thru primer

zudog1

1197 posts [96%]
chesapeake va

May 01 2011
Been doing some fund raising and getting things together to finish the car. Traded my old daily truck for a s13 coupe promptly sold it too my friend Chris Nihezzy and got to finishing up and ordering some parts and my harness redo. Got to finalize my welding up the rust holes and new panels and finished that all up in a Hippo brand bedliner material. Looks good and blends it all together well, still alot more work to go, also bought my paint for the engine bay. Its the 2011 Scion TC "cement" color itll make the bay look more industrial and will be easy to touch up than the black. Traded some work also and got a -20 AN fittings for my radiator and coolant elbow and had them welded this weekend. Not much longer to go till it starts, cant wait to hear it run and feel the power it delivers.

May 02 2011
Small update, been working on stuff for others to keep this thing moving in the right direction.

had alil time and added gussets to the tranny crossmemeber

May 05 2011
I dropped the crossmembers off at J&J powdercoating yesterday, the older couple there couldnt be nicer to me and there work is topnotch, to bad Im going black wrinkle, wont showcase there quality of prep. Got the right sized belt for running only an alternator and installed it, a 6 rib Vbelt at 32inchs fits perfect.

swapped my plug for one of the fittings on the oil sandwich plate so i could clock the hoes for the oil cooler down.

waiting on my new spacers for the hiem tocomein and then its time to fab up the new LCAs. got my new -20 ends welded onto my water neck and radiator now too!

went from this

to this with alil filler and prime, painting it tomorrow.

May 17 2011
Got my crossmembers back, got them done in black wrinkle and they look really great J&J powdercoating did a awesome job!

Also installed my 6 puck clutch and got the tranny back one with all the new bolts, need to order starter bolts soon. Pics on the clutch installed didnt go through but here the flywheel lol.

I modded the front coresupport for ease of motor install and painted the enigne bay.

fire wall looks alot better than factory.

May 24 2011
motor is back in hooking up all the hoses and trying to get the fuel system right. So got a new clutch master, it was the wrong one but i decided to keep it cause it fits the firewall mount but was too short to reach the pedal. I made an extender for it and it works great, best part of it is its aluminum and is much lighter.

May 26 2011
update! rotated the vac. nipple on the booster for a cleaner install, cleaned up well and looks good repainted. cheack that valve cover too booster fitment!! :cj:

cut the fire wall up for the upper intake fitment, going to make a nice bolt on filler panel to close the gap.

ran a new brake line for the slave, so much cleaner just need to tie it down now.

5/26/11
Finished modding the cowl and getting ready for a bolt in filler panel.

had to drill holes for access to the top of the shifter.

stainless hex bolts for the headlights, got the Dresupbolts.com kit for the fenders so trying to match it up.

Modified by zudog1 at 11:29 AM 6/1/2011

zudog1

1197 posts [96%]
chesapeake va

May 28 2011
CABZ HERE!! :hb:

almost the last piece to the puzzle is here and fits great.

Did not like the gap where I notched the firewall so I made this bosstown fillerpanel.

harness comes back from Zfever soon and should make my deadline of June 5th.

radiator in for good now, made new aluminum brackets to hold it down, and have alil friend to keep the motor company
May 30 2011
Driveshaft is bolted up! sounds easy but DDS couldnt replicate the toyota GTS flange so they used one that has a four bolt pattern and perfect center section that fits like stock. Took off the flange and mated it up, marked and drilled the holes and they were just close enough not to cut right outside the flange but didnt feel safe with it so close. cleaned up and match weighted some thick washers.

you can see how close the holes are to the edge now.

bolted the washers down and welded them into place for extra support.

Modified by zudog1 at 12:10 PM 5/31/2011
Jake Breyck

850 posts [98%]

Wow Nice. LOVE IT.

http://www.quantum-auto.com/
zudog1

1197 posts [96%]
chesapeake va

Re: VQ'ed AE86....nuff said (Jake Breyck) » Reply  Edit

Thanks. really trying to get it running by Thursday, trying to attend a local practice event and make Hyperfest on the 18th of June.
zudog1

1197 posts [96%]
chesapeake va

Finished the accelerator pedal mount,

welds and dimples

CFROST

7489 posts [100%]
Orange CA

» Reply  Edit

wow

can't wait to see it run

'85 Levin Coupe
http://www.okaycool.com
zudog1

1197 posts [96%]
chesapeake va

Finished the accelerator pedal mount,

welds and dimples

zudog1

1197 posts [96%]
chesapeake va

» Reply  Edit

Didnt make my deadline for Driftwater....f*@k it Hyperfest is right around the corner so In the mad dash for Driftwater I got alot of things taken care of.
The moving forward of the rack gave me more angle cause the racks not over centering
Old picture

tonight, has a tad more with stress on the wheel, pulls past my notch now

harness installed, going to clean it up later but not bad for now, installed the MAF and intake
right side header shortened and rewelded

remounted the oilcooler alil lower in the bumper opening

installed anohter 90degree on the lower rad hose so it clears the alternator pulley.

tymarbry

519 posts [95%]
Kansas City MO

THis build is looking great. I want to see MOAR!

--1977 Datsun 280z--
zudog1

1197 posts [96%]
chesapeake va

» Reply  Edit

im just going to leave this here

More updates later to day should have it on the ground and the exhaust completely built.
zudog1

1197 posts [96%]
chesapeake va

» Reply  Edit

Worked on her all weekend got the headers done, got the mid pipes done and going to finish the exhaust tomorrow. The fuel system is working awesome and fixed any leaks and ran the lines for vac. using the Hosecandy kit. tied most of everything up and nut and bolted everything, its takes way longer than most would think. Now to finish the exhaust which wont take much and get another ECU and burn from Zfever. ....oh yeah I forgot to mention we had a technical miscommunication and my ecu is a nice paper weight now. Well I still might make it to Hyperfest but itll be a tight date to make. If anyone wants to donate some money I still need front tires, gas for the trailer and Ill promise a ride if you come too Hyperfest .

https://www.paypal.com/cgi-bin...KHGPW
headers done

had to make a million pies too make this pipe fit right

wrapped and installed on the car now, wrap didnt turnout hte best but its fine and tight.

Ill take pics of the rest of the completed exhaust when finished.

Ender-DI

4208 posts [100%]
Bakersfield CA

Re: (zudog1) » Reply  Edit

Awesome thread is awesome
zudog1

1197 posts [96%]
chesapeake va

Re: (Ender-DI) » Reply  Edit

Thanks for the support guys! got the exhaust done last night going to reinstall it before work and hopefully have it on the ground once again.

Now to clean up the interior and wiring and get the new gauge installed, ecu is back at Zfever for diag. and hope to have it back by thursday. Start and take it for a drive soon
zudog1

1197 posts [96%]
chesapeake va

» Reply  Edit

The Hyperfest or bust trip was a failfest from start to finish, cars ecu is still causingproblems so now i have 2 nice paper weights. Doug at Zfever has gone over and beyond working with me and helping me out with this build, and has the best customer service. Will stik with him and his crew for more builds.

Made my extension/ relocarot for the ebrake, going hydro and prob secondary rear calipers, but this works good for now.

I like welding aluminum, def. grabbing a TIG asap!
heres the semi finished dash setup for now

heres the finished product that did run alil but not good enough to drift.

going to redo the harness for a cleaner look, and drop in some more AN lines for the heating system, those lines and fittings are on the way.

Modified by zudog1 at 4:31 AM 6/21/2011
zudog1

1197 posts [96%]
chesapeake va

» Reply  Edit

Its been a while the corolla shouldbe moving under its own power this week after the harness gets back from Zfever in Tampa, Florida. While it was down i did alil more cleaning up and trying to make a working light weight heating system. Took off the steel waterpipes and welded all the holes i had capped, cut off the outlets for the rubber hoses and welded on -12AN bungs for a very functional non leak system.

I Also picked up another motor mainly for the block and heads to send out to get built.

Ive decided to build the more to 350/400HP and going to do a few events next year, so cage work new seats and firesafety equipment will be in order. Just hope money and time will let that happen, working on grabbing a celicasupra 7.5 rear end local get it or mabey a good LSD and go from there. Also redoing the exhaust and got Vbands for it for better ground clearence.

85coupegt-s

168 posts [100%]
west chester pa

Re: (zudog1) » Reply  Edit

not to get off topic but did you ever do a write up on ur headlight conversion? i would like to do that to my car. they are from a miata?
zudog1

1197 posts [96%]
chesapeake va

Re: (85coupegt-s) » Reply  Edit

I didn't do a writeup on my headlamps but the backing plate and buckets are from a Miata, have a friend with a 240 did the same with FB RX7backing and buckets. Its very simple the old headlamp braket just need to be either cut out or drill the spotwelds and remove the entire plate. Do the same to the donor lights and then fit and reweld back in, hard part is making headlight cover that looks OEM.
AZNWOKZ
WOK Moderator

2081 posts [100%]
CT

» Reply  Edit

any update? Loving the details of this build!
You got skills. I wish I had half the skills you have.

http://www.ectoyotas.com
Are you from the East Coast? If so,Please join

∧,,∧
 (;`・ω・)  。・゚・⌒) チャーハン作るよ!!
 /   o━ヽニニフ))
 しー-J
MOKKORI to the max =)
WOK WOK WOK!!!! :P
Club4ag is like a World wide Swap Meet,I Keep coming back.Community :thumbup:

zudog1

1197 posts [96%]
chesapeake va

» Reply  Edit

Took alil time off to save up and buy more parts to try and see whats up with this car. Worked on my RX7 also trying to have that on the road end of the month also.

Have new sensors and a Jimwolfe flywheel ready to install, after its running then its a Weir Performance axel and spoolkit spacer and Im really ready to rock. Should be running next week, maybe tomorrow. who knows.

zudog1

1197 posts [96%]
chesapeake va

» Reply  Edit

Well i found the culpret after pulling the tranny down tonight. F1 racing flywheel was either for a different year rwd unit or its a fwd unit, getting replaced by a JimWOlf unit cant wait to drive this thing finally!
zudog1

1197 posts [96%]
chesapeake va

» Reply  Edit

its runs!! fixing a intake leak and sorting some other matters but itll move under its own power.
Grant

3656 posts [86%]
San Jose ca

» Reply  Edit

can you post up bigger pics of your cars? They look sick.

Stand Alone ECU tuning. Message me for details.

Looking to buy a corolla manual rack and a TRD 3 gear transmission.
*also wtb 4 point roll cage/bar for ae86 coupe

zudog1

1197 posts [96%]
chesapeake va

Re: (Grant) » Reply  Edit

Sure Ill take some better pics of them some time today.
zudog1

1197 posts [96%]
chesapeake va

» Reply  Edit

Worked on it today and got her to run and idle, drove it around and it pulls sooo hard its not over the top its like you would exspect a high hp corolla to feel. Il make a vid sometime soon.
http://www.facebook.com/photo....86997
this is before i fixed the idle and got it running decent.

Modified by zudog1 at 2:43 AM 10/9/2011
zudog1

1197 posts [96%]
chesapeake va

» Reply  Edit

picked up some sideskirts and rear bumper

Loving the power but needs a lower final gear maybe a 4.10. This is a great swap and cant be any happier with the way it feels.
bdpolston

90 posts [100%]
Murfreesboro TN

» Reply  Edit

Very nice. I will be checking back for sure. Post up a video one you get her on the road.

zudog1

1197 posts [96%]
chesapeake va

Re: (bdpolston) » Reply  Edit

Ok will post up soon
 First  1 2 3 >  Last

» Return to Shop Cars (Featured Build-Up Logs) & Personal Buildup Logs