Included Logo Page

The Old CLUB4AG FORUM ARCHIVE

For reference only, all new posts and communications should be posted in the new forums at http://club4ag.com/forums

My Profile | Active Users | Member List | Search

Print  Email  Subscribe  RSS  Help
 how to test duty cycle with multimeter [Archived]
Author Post
errincooke

1156 posts [98%]

how to test duty cycle with multimeter Reply  Edit

need a little help here. for using a multimeter with duty cycle setting to get injector duty cycle.

is it just one wire one probe, then the other wire the other probe?

also i have a few duty cycle setting options on the multimeter

AC Current
AC Voltage
The last one just says duty cycle ( electronics )

i got a new meter and am just trying to learn how to use all its options.

Grant

3656 posts [86%]
San Jose ca

» Reply  Edit

Pretty sure you'd need an oscilloscope for that.

A simple dmm won't be able to display something as fast as injector duty cycle. Why do you need to check that anyways?

Stand Alone ECU tuning. Message me for details.

Looking to buy a corolla manual rack and a TRD 3 gear transmission.
*also wtb 4 point roll cage/bar for ae86 coupe

errincooke

1156 posts [98%]

» Reply  Edit

i dont need to check it. i got a new meter cause i wanted access to a clamp style amp probe at home.

this one has a few more features than my harbor freight meter. so i figure why not learn all its features so im not trying to figure it out when i do need it.

Red

9661 posts [78%]

Re: (errincooke) » Reply  Edit

errin, you might want to call the manufacturer. All multimeters hae two leads, negative and positive. When you're testing a circuit you normally hook up the negative to ground and the positive to the line you want to test (i.e. the injector hot lead) but some meters have multiple sockets to put the leads in. A multimeter with a "duty cycle" reading sounds like a high end Fluke meter...but whoever makes it should be able to tell you how to use it if they didn't put in an instruction booklet.

I hve one of Harbor Freight's outstanding $2 meters. I leave it in the car "just in case" because I don't an expensive one to get stolen. For two bucks...it is almost as entertaining as a Magic 8 Ball. Almost as accurate, too.<G>

--Original owner, '85 Corolla GTS. Will trade for a Cadillac-Gage V150, or a Ford GT, in similar condition.
errincooke

1156 posts [98%]

» Reply  Edit

it does have multiple sockets but the book tells me which ones to put it in depending on which test. but again im not sure which it would be. i dont think its the current one but i could be wrong. i tried to call the manufacturer but whenever i remember they are closed since they are east coast based.

its a craftsman and it was under fifty bucks. nothing against my harbor freight meter, i just wanted the clamp.

Red

9661 posts [78%]

Re: (errincooke) » Reply  Edit

You will be measuring current. DC Amps.

Odds are the clamp only works for AC current, not DC, so you'll need the leads.

--Original owner, '85 Corolla GTS. Will trade for a Cadillac-Gage V150, or a Ford GT, in similar condition.

» Return to General Technical Discussions