Included Logo Page

The Old CLUB4AG FORUM ARCHIVE

For reference only, all new posts and communications should be posted in the new forums at http://club4ag.com/forums

My Profile | Active Users | Member List | Search

Print  Email  Subscribe  RSS  Help
 My AE86 Build "Wisconsin Body, California Soul" [Note]First  1 2 3 4 5 >  Last
Author Post
Note

620 posts [100%]
Oil Painting, Trapped

My AE86 Build - "Wisconsin Body, California Soul" [Note] Reply  Edit

This thread will document my AE86 build, I assume after making various threads for my car this will make things a bit more simple.

History

My name is Tom, and I'm a graphic designer in San Diego, California. I'm originally from the Midwest and my automotive history has been mostly tied to Hondas. My last car was an autocross-ready 1993 Honda Civic CX hatchback, with a B16A swap and other goods.

The time had finally arrived to get the car I have waited 5 years to own:

Photos from Seller

1985 Toyota Corolla GT-S [AE86]
Current Parts List

Engine & Transmission
16v 4A-GZE, Supercharger Removed
T50 Transmission

Spec Stage 2 Clutch, Pressure Plate, & Flywheel
TRD 4-2-1 Exhaust Manifold
4A-GE Bluetop TVIS Intake Manifold
4A-GE Bluetop Engine Harness
4A-GE Bluetop ECU

Suspension & Wheels

Toyota Supra MK2 Wheels
Tokico Blues

NASTRA Rear Calipers

NASTRA Brake Pads

Extra

Grant GT Steering Wheel
NGR Quick-Release Hub

Pioneer DEH-P6700MP

Toyota Supra MK3 Speakers
UJ's Old Dash Cover
Solex Locks
Fuel Kill Switch

Custom Exhaust

Aftermarket Trunk Lift-Arms

Pending Parts

Replacement Radiator
Replacement GT-S Gas Tank

Future Parts / Wish List

JDM Steering Wheel

NGR Quick-Lock

Janspeed Exhaust System

Replacement GTS Body Harness

Stainless Steel Brake Lines

Ex-Parts

20v Silvertop 4A-GE
Ford EDIS Coil Pack and Wiring Harness

Megasquirt ECU: MSnS Extra (Version 2.3)

OBX-R Exhaust Manifold

OEM Velocity Stacks

Uni UP4245 ITB Filters
Sunpro 10,000 RPM Tachometer

Special Thanks

A special thanks, and due credit, go to the following Club4AG members for their continued assistance in helping this newbie along the way (listed in alphabetical order).

eightysixer23
jaedee
karate_crimson
kirksekm
my86mystory

*I will be updating the parts list as the build progresses.

Thanks for looking!

Modified by Note at 9:53 PM 6/22/2011

Modified by Note at 9:47 PM 6/27/2011

Modified by Note at 9:48 PM 6/27/2011

Modified by Note at 9:48 PM 6/27/2011

Modified by Note at 1:21 AM 7/8/2011

Modified by Note at 4:28 PM 7/20/2011

Modified by Note at 9:08 PM 2/3/2012

Modified by Note at 6:48 PM 11/10/2012

Build Thread: 1985 AE86 GT-S

Note's "For Sale" Thread
* GZE Supercharger Kit
* T50 Transmissions

Note's "Want to Buy" Thread

Email: zenkinote@gmail.com

"God's In His Heaven, All's Right With The World"

karate_crimson

8227 posts [89%]
Southern CA

Re: My AE86 Build - "Wisconsin Body, California Soul" [Note] (Note) » Reply  Edit

Hey there Tom, thanks for posting your build. Wow your setup looks identical to my first Corolla's years ago. It's good to see another 20v still driving around. Might you consider the 16v water setup down the line?

Anyway, looking forward to your progress!

Note

620 posts [100%]
Oil Painting, Trapped

Re: My AE86 Build - "Wisconsin Body, California Soul" [Note] (Note) » Reply  Edit

After buying the car I noticed it had a large external tachometer that I didn't care for, I assumed I would either put some work into the wiring to make it work, or replace it with a 52mm tachometer such as this STRI gauge:

Note's "For Sale" Thread
* GZE Supercharger Kit
* T50 Transmissions

Note

620 posts [100%]
Oil Painting, Trapped

Fast-forward to the car itself; here is the car about a week after owning it, on the jack stands (surprise, surprise?) As I figured I had best check everything before I make the long haul to San Diego.

Note the small touch of rust on the front fender, looks like I'll be swapping a fender down the road.

Solex locks were ordered that night, along with some other parts, and the hunt for a new driver's side "junction" fuse box.

I also realized it'll need a new coat of paint, and was planning to use the famed $50 Roll-On Paint Job, only to realize I had just a week left until I drove back to San Diego, CA. So I had to make it less time consuming.. To do this I went with the FinishMasters semi-gloss black paint the previous owner used on the front left fender, hood, and headlamp covers.

Parts on Order
- New trunk prop-rods
- Solex locks
- Loaded rear brake calipers (x2)

They all should show up either tomorrow or Friday. I'll post some more photos when I get them.<br /><br />

Modified by Note at 11:24 PM 9/3/2011

Note's "For Sale" Thread
* GZE Supercharger Kit
* T50 Transmissions

Note

620 posts [100%]
Oil Painting, Trapped

Re: My AE86 Build - "Wisconsin Body, California Soul" [Note] (karate_crimson) » Reply  Edit

Quote, originally posted by karate_crimson »
Hey there Tom, thanks for posting your build. Wow your setup looks identical to my first Corolla's years ago. It's good to see another 20v still driving around. Might you consider the 16v water setup down the line?

Anyway, looking forward to your progress!

Thanks man, that means a lot after seeing your build thread. I was very impressed! And I actually have the water pump in my garage. I just need to re-arrage some of the engine bay, such as where the alternator is, and those twin-pipes. I'm hoping to swap those out in due time.

Note's "For Sale" Thread
* GZE Supercharger Kit
* T50 Transmissions

Note

620 posts [100%]
Oil Painting, Trapped

Look what showed up in the mail.

In about an hour I'll be heading off to the shop to sand down the AE86 and install the parts. Then I move on to the paint, exhaust, and ITB filters. Does anyone have filter recommendations? I'm not looking to spend $300 on filters yet, just some basic ones to get me back to San Diego.

EDIT: Still looking for a replacement fuse box. If anyone has one, please PM me. Thanks!

Modified by Note at 11:25 PM 9/3/2011

Note's "For Sale" Thread
* GZE Supercharger Kit
* T50 Transmissions

karate_crimson

8227 posts [89%]
Southern CA

Hey Tom, nice locks you've got there. I run the same type, although some people advise against them. I feel they do the job, and with another type of anti-theft like an alarm, or quick release steering wheel, it's a great deterrent.

Also about the filters, here is the thread you are looking for:

This is another user's engine bay on this forum. "onelungderryl"

"The filter is a Pipercross PX600 C6002 box filter. It is 435mm x 190mm x 55mm, with a 230bhp rating. Internally it has a 40mm clearance."

And finally, regarding the driver side junction block. If you need me to, there are several at the junkyard locally, I can pull one and inspect it. I'd only charge for gas and the item itself. Let me know, I can go as soon as tomorrow to get it for you.

Note

620 posts [100%]
Oil Painting, Trapped

Re: My AE86 Build - "Wisconsin Body, California Soul" [Note] (karate_crimson) » Reply  Edit

Hey Tom, nice locks you've got there. I run the same type, although some people advise against them. I feel they do the job, and with another type of anti-theft like an alarm, or quick release steering wheel, it's a great deterrent.

Thanks for the thread!

And yes, I'd be more than happy to pay for gas, and the item with 2-day shipping. As far as the security, I plan to buy an NRG Quick-Release and Quick-Lock combo as soon as I can. Those, in combination with the Solex and fuel kill switch should stop most thieves.

Note's "For Sale" Thread
* GZE Supercharger Kit
* T50 Transmissions

Note

620 posts [100%]
Oil Painting, Trapped

Progress was made today.

Also, karate_crimson suggested Uni filters for my ITBs. Does anyone know which ones will fit the trumpets? I'm thinking of ordering ones that fit a Blacktop as I can always just tighten the rings for a more snug fit.

The catalog

Which POD filter part number should I go with? Thanks for the help in advance. And I apologize for being rather indecisive..

Note's "For Sale" Thread
* GZE Supercharger Kit
* T50 Transmissions

Note

620 posts [100%]
Oil Painting, Trapped

Most of the work done today was installing the new pair of loaded rear brake calipers, fixing my driver side door (the hinge made the door a real headache to close), and going from 400 to 600 grit on sanding the whole car.

I was so occupied trying to hunt down ITB filters (I ordered four Uni UP4245 filters, and took a hit to the wallet to get them here Monday morning), that I didn't have time to charge my phone, so no current photos to post. I'll make an effort to take some tomorrow though.

Note's "For Sale" Thread
* GZE Supercharger Kit
* T50 Transmissions

Note

620 posts [100%]
Oil Painting, Trapped

The current plan of action for tomorrow is to reinstall the interior (wiring harnesses, dash, seats, etc). And hopefully get my custom exhaust made, and installed, by my good friend Kenny.

Aside from that, the only thing left for the car is to put the tires back on, drive it somewhere to get washed, and then drive it back to the shop to get painted. I plan to install the Solex locks after the paint goes on, for less of a chance to get paint on them.

Both the new fuse box, and ITB filters should arrive Monday morning, and with those installed the car should be done until I get back to San Diego.

Note's "For Sale" Thread
* GZE Supercharger Kit
* T50 Transmissions

Note

620 posts [100%]
Oil Painting, Trapped

Snapped some photos today, which I will post later, but at the moment I need some help identifying some under-dash bits.

This was tucked into the panel right next to the ignition's key slot

This is right by the brake and accelerator pedal.

If someone could tell me where these bolt onto the car, under the dash, I'd appreciate it. The original owner of this car did a terrible job on wiring.

Note's "For Sale" Thread
* GZE Supercharger Kit
* T50 Transmissions

Note

620 posts [100%]
Oil Painting, Trapped

What a day. Finally got the wiring figured out and the center console reinstalled. The driver-side seat was left out so there is more room to work inside. Also got the Pioneer DEH-P6700MP and Supra speakers installed.

As far as the exhaust system goes, I picked up a 25in. Cherry Bomb to quiet the exhaust a bit, and also found a brand new unknown muffler* in the corner of the shop to replace the rusted through stock GT-S muffler, which will be installed tomorrow.

I honestly don't see this "freshen-up" taking much longer. At least the person driving with me to San Diego is going to be delayed a day or so as well. So it all works out I suppose. Also a big thanks to karate_crimson for the replacement fuse box! It arrived this afternoon and was swiftly installed. All the lights that weren't illuminating before (brake lights, center console, clock, etc) are all in working order!

More photos will be taken tomorrow, stay tuned.

*I couldn't read too much because of the poor lighting in the shop at night, but it says Made In The USA. I'll double check the brand tomorrow morning, it looks pretty nice though!

Note's "For Sale" Thread
* GZE Supercharger Kit
* T50 Transmissions

karate_crimson

8227 posts [89%]
Southern CA

Good to know everything worked out for you.

Very nice audio setup by the way, I've went in the opposite direction with my vintage dinosaur setup.

Note

620 posts [100%]
Oil Painting, Trapped

Good to know everything worked out for you.

Very nice audio setup by the way, I've went in the opposite direction with my vintage dinosaur setup.

Haha thanks. The audio stuff is just what was laying around in the shop from my friend Kenny's older Supra*. But hey, it all works, we even got the brackets for a Subaru to fit into the AE86 center console. I also got these in the mail today!

Can't wait to install them, I'll make sure to take some photos of the progress today.

*He had 4 Supras at one point I believe, 3 were shells/parts cars.

Note's "For Sale" Thread
* GZE Supercharger Kit
* T50 Transmissions

Note

620 posts [100%]
Oil Painting, Trapped

Finally got the AE86 home, it's running great! For some reason the center console / stereo doesn't seem to work.. hopefully this is an easy fix. Any final adjustments will occur tomorrow.

And whoo boy, 20v motors sure are loud at 3AM. Had to run to a nearby ATM at the mall, and the mall security was following me the whole time. It was too dark to take pictures today so I'll just take some in the morning (if I remember).

I won't lie, I'm not sure how the California cops won't notice my 20v. Although there are plenty of loud cars around San Diego, some Silvias in particular. Good thing I won't be driving too much.

Note's "For Sale" Thread
* GZE Supercharger Kit
* T50 Transmissions

Note

620 posts [100%]
Oil Painting, Trapped

Decided to spend some time in the sun today and paint the car, I think it went pretty well for my first time around.. and using a rattle-can.

Washing it off

New Muffler

Partially taped up

Painted

The blue speck you see was glare when I shot the photo, it is not on the car.

New stereo

Filtered ITBs

Only thing left is to get a bracket for the other wiper arm, fix the buzzing in the left turn signal, and install the Solex locks.

Modified by Note at 11:25 PM 9/3/2011

Note's "For Sale" Thread
* GZE Supercharger Kit
* T50 Transmissions

Note

620 posts [100%]
Oil Painting, Trapped

Picked up a spare wiper arm bracket from the salvage yard, as well as some sun visors.

Does anyone know what size water pump belt the 20v Silvertop uses?

Note's "For Sale" Thread
* GZE Supercharger Kit
* T50 Transmissions

karate_crimson

8227 posts [89%]
Southern CA

Are you using the 16v pulleys? Well even with the 20v pulleys, the distance should be the same.
Go to any Autozone. Ask for a ''325K5" belt. Install and be happy.
Note

620 posts [100%]
Oil Painting, Trapped

Are you using the 16v pulleys? Well even with the 20v pulleys, the distance should be the same.
Go to any Autozone. Ask for a ''325K5" belt. Install and be happy.

As always, you have the right answer. Thanks man!

Note's "For Sale" Thread
* GZE Supercharger Kit
* T50 Transmissions

Note

620 posts [100%]
Oil Painting, Trapped

I'm back, sorry for the delay. It has been a very long week. So here is a nice story to sum it all up.

My ambitions to drive my AE86 back to Southern California from Wisconsin was indeed a tall order. Although with a friend of mine who is ASE certified, and who was also a previous owner of the car along the for the ride, as well as tools and extra automotive fluids, I wasn't too worried.

Oh how the mighty fall.

Several hours into the trip just south of Grand Island, Nebraska we were cruising in 5th gear when we heard a loud pop and a burning odor. We pulled over to the side of the road to assess the situation. Tires good, belts good, and the engine idled with 110% normality. We then got back in and began to set off when we heard a terrible grinding noise coming from the car. We thought it might have been the clutch, not a good thing to go bad in the middle of Middle America. My friend tried to go through the gears:

1st gear: grinds
2nd gear: grinds
3rd gear: grinds

We thought for sure it was the clutch, and then:

4th gear: completely normal

It was as I feared more than the clutch, it was the transmission. And having a bad transmission here would be a nightmare, where the only T50 transmission the local mechanics (for miles) might know is from Borg-Warner.

After sitting at the road-side and going through the options, we decided to limp back to Grand Island which was only 20 miles away. After getting in touch with AAA I was able to secure a hotel for the night as I searched frantically for a replacement T50. My initial plan was to order a U-Haul auto trailer, and get a tow from my uncle in Denver and find a replacement there. The following morning we were towed 100 miles west by a company AAA found, and ended up in North Platte, Nebraska. Although we received a phone call from my friend's uncle, who said he would come and get us... and proceed to tow us the rest of the way to SoCal.

I honestly though he was insane.

Although after multiple phone calls to our families trying to figure out the best solution, my friend's uncle was insistant on driving the 4,000 miles (round trip) to get us where we needed to be. And with the plan in motion, my friend and I had a nice 13 hour wait outside of a Wal-Mart in North Platte, Nebraska. But, sure enough, at 1:15 in the morning my friend's Uncle Steve arrived with a pickup and auto trailer. We loaded the car up and hit the road. Aside from stops for gas, we were going non-stop. And finally arrived here in Southern California around 2AM on July 6th.

Since then, UJ (karate_crimson) has come to the rescue once again by sourcing me a replacement T50 that is due to arrive in the next day or so when time allows. Until then, my AE86 is sitting happily (although broken) in my garage. Aside from busying myself with other things since my return (a 3 week absence really piles up the phone calls and ToDo list). I'm hoping to have the transmission swapped by the end of the week.

TL;DR: Drove from WI to SoCal, broke down in Nebraska due to a bad T50 transmission, my friend's uncle towed us the rest of the way. Replacement T50 on the way.

Modified by Note at 11:26 PM 9/3/2011

Note's "For Sale" Thread
* GZE Supercharger Kit
* T50 Transmissions

Jinsoku

5127 posts [100%]
NORCAL/Maxwell AFB Alabama

» Reply  Edit

haha.. rolla life!!!! road memories!!!

i had to sleep in my 86 in front of a pilot travel center in castaic,ca. for 2 days!!!!

the guy i bought it from said it was a fresh rebuild and the strong engine would take me anywhere!

your friends uncle is gangsta!!!

green tea kit kat and mochi...
Note

620 posts [100%]
Oil Painting, Trapped

Re: (Jinsoku) » Reply  Edit

Quote, originally posted by Jinsoku »
haha.. rolla life!!!! road memories!!!

i had to sleep in my 86 in front of a pilot travel center in castaic,ca. for 2 days!!!!

the guy i bought it from said it was a fresh rebuild and the strong engine would take me anywhere!

your friends uncle is gangsta!!!

Haha I hear you, and with the back of the car packed with boxes I couldn't even move the seats back, so it was near-impossible to sleep in them.

Also, it's true, my friend's uncle is an awesome dude.

Note's "For Sale" Thread
* GZE Supercharger Kit
* T50 Transmissions

Note

620 posts [100%]
Oil Painting, Trapped

Re: (Note) » Reply  Edit

Looking at quick-release systems.

Note's "For Sale" Thread
* GZE Supercharger Kit
* T50 Transmissions

Note

620 posts [100%]
Oil Painting, Trapped

There are also some things that don't seem to work on the car, probably due to a faulty/old wiring harness. These things (more specifically) are the wipers, and Pioneer stereo. Also, my A/C fans seem to turn on but I can't seem to feel any air coming into the cabin.

The left turn signal also doesn't illuminate and makes an annoying buzz. I assume this is due to not placing that odd seafoam green electrical box (under the dash/steering column) in the right area. And if there isn't enough going on, I discovered a somewhat bad leak from where the who halves of my gas tank meet, so it looks like I'll need to be replacing that (otherwise I can only run on half a tank) as well.

I am also going to start looking for an interior for the trunk area of my car, it doesn't have to have a privacy cover, just something to cover the wheel well and bare metal. It would have to be grey. Might also try to source a dash cover.

It also won't hurt if I replace my brake lines sometime down the road, the top layer of plastic on the tubing seems to be a bit faded, might go with stainless lines.

Things to Fix
Wipers
Pioneer Stereo
A/C Fans

Parts to Source
Replacement GTS Wiring Harness
Replacement GT-S Gas Tank
AE86 Hatchback Trunk Interior (Grey)
Dash Cover
Stainless Steel Brake Lines

Note's "For Sale" Thread
* GZE Supercharger Kit
* T50 Transmissions

Rue

993 posts [99%]
FTW TX

Can you take a pic of the area around where your wiper motor is located. Wiper issue might be caused by lack of wiring when the harness for your engine was made.

85 GTSr5 Hatch 3sge BEAMS ITB Powered!!! http://forums.club4ag.com/zero...age=1

86 Cressida Original 5-speed (Daily) => 1uzfe http://jzxproject.com/bbs/index.php?showtopic=7121

WTB: Grey on Grey Zenki Sr5 Door Panels!!! SELL THEM TO ME!!!

Note

620 posts [100%]
Oil Painting, Trapped

Re: (Rue) » Reply  Edit

Here's the wiper motor, I know they worked before, just not well (the wiper arm only made half of its full motion). So I'm not sure if it's the wiring, or simply a worn out motor. But when the wiring harness was reinstalled they stopped working completely.

Modified by Note at 11:27 PM 9/3/2011

Note's "For Sale" Thread
* GZE Supercharger Kit
* T50 Transmissions

Rue

993 posts [99%]
FTW TX

Well you have the wiper connector so it's not the obvious reason I was thinking of.

85 GTSr5 Hatch 3sge BEAMS ITB Powered!!! http://forums.club4ag.com/zero...age=1

86 Cressida Original 5-speed (Daily) => 1uzfe http://jzxproject.com/bbs/index.php?showtopic=7121

WTB: Grey on Grey Zenki Sr5 Door Panels!!! SELL THEM TO ME!!!

Note

620 posts [100%]
Oil Painting, Trapped

Quote, originally posted by Rue »
Well you have the wiper connector so it's not the obvious reason I was thinking of.

I'll research it a bit more. Hopefully it's nothing too complex.

Note's "For Sale" Thread
* GZE Supercharger Kit
* T50 Transmissions

Note

620 posts [100%]
Oil Painting, Trapped

» Reply  Edit

Looks like the transmission will be replaced tomorrow.. hopefully.

Note's "For Sale" Thread
* GZE Supercharger Kit
* T50 Transmissions

First  1 2 3 4 5 >  Last

» Return to Shop Cars (Featured Build-Up Logs) & Personal Buildup Logs