Included Logo Page

The Old CLUB4AG FORUM ARCHIVE

For reference only, all new posts and communications should be posted in the new forums at http://club4ag.com/forums

My Profile | Active Users | Member List | Search

Print  Email  Subscribe  RSS  Help
 My AE86 Build "Wisconsin Body, California Soul" [Note]First  < 5 6 7 8 9 >  Last
Author Post
Note

620 posts [100%]
Oil Painting, Trapped

Re: My AE86 Build - "Wisconsin Body, California Soul" [Note] (Note) » Reply  Edit

Quote, originally posted by Note »
Anyone in San Diego have a garage or shop where kirksekm and I could perform a swap?

Build Thread: 1985 AE86 GT-S

Note's "For Sale" Thread
* GZE Supercharger Kit
* T50 Transmissions

Note's "Want to Buy" Thread

Email: zenkinote@gmail.com

"God's In His Heaven, All's Right With The World"

Note

620 posts [100%]
Oil Painting, Trapped

Re: My AE86 Build - "Wisconsin Body, California Soul" [Note] (Note) » Reply  Edit

Looking for Bluetop timing belt covers (all three parts), condition doesn't matter as long as they stay on. Looking for an OEM radio, or something decent that'll work in its place, as well.

Also,

Anyone in San Diego have a garage or shop where kirksekm and I could perform a swap?

Note's "For Sale" Thread
* GZE Supercharger Kit
* T50 Transmissions

Note

620 posts [100%]
Oil Painting, Trapped

I've probably brought this up before, but why are used GTS gas tanks sold here for the price of a new one from a parts store; is the factory replacement not accurate?

Isn't the point to not pay retail on used parts?

Note's "For Sale" Thread
* GZE Supercharger Kit
* T50 Transmissions

kirksekm

775 posts [100%]
YOKOSUKA KANAGAWA

bump

[b]"my car is so low... i have to travel to the other side of the world to do an oil change"[/b] :o

[b]"WHAT THE F*^K IS JUICE?... GIMME SOME OF DAT GRAPE DRINK BABY!!" [/b] :thumbup:

[b]"I'D RATHER PUSH MY TOYOTA THAN EVER DRIVE A HONDA"[/b] =)

[u][b]" 60 PERCENT OF THE TIME IT WORKS EVERY TIME-SEX PANTHER- BRIAN FANTANA" [/b];)[/u]

"カウンターステアが遅いんだな?" Keiichi Tsuchiya

Joshua Araujo

209 posts [100%]
brampton ontario

Where did you get those Black UNI filters from?
Note

620 posts [100%]
Oil Painting, Trapped

Re: My AE86 Build - "Wisconsin Body, California Soul" [Note] (Joshua Araujo) » Reply  Edit

You can find them here. I've had mine a while and they haven't cracked, or flaked.

It took me a while to find out which type would fit so I'm glad I can save someone the trouble. I guess the price has gone up a bit since I purchased mine.

Note's "For Sale" Thread
* GZE Supercharger Kit
* T50 Transmissions

Joshua Araujo

209 posts [100%]
brampton ontario

Thank for the link man!!
Note

620 posts [100%]
Oil Painting, Trapped

Re: My AE86 Build - "Wisconsin Body, California Soul" [Note] (Joshua Araujo) » Reply  Edit

No problem.

Note's "For Sale" Thread
* GZE Supercharger Kit
* T50 Transmissions

Note

620 posts [100%]
Oil Painting, Trapped

This thing is still for sale. Here's a video of it running.

As stated in the sale thread, I will trade someone for their USED 16v swap, preferable a Bluetop. As long as it:

- Runs well,
- has all of the necessary parts,
- is below 200,000 miles,
- and doesn't burn oil like crazy.

I'm willing to trade my 20v swap for $700-$1000 on top, for rebuilding. Even with the max $1000 and your ~$500 16v swap, that's still about $600 I'm taking off. I consider this a pretty good deal, and I'm not petty enough to discount peoples' offers. It's just a matter of getting my hands on one.

Note's "For Sale" Thread
* GZE Supercharger Kit
* T50 Transmissions

Note

620 posts [100%]
Oil Painting, Trapped

Instead of starting a topic, I thought I'd just ask here as I know nearly nothing about the 4AGZE, and it's an option I'm looking into.

Can you run it without the supercharger? What effects does it have (aside from less horsepower)? Is this a difficult process? Pros/Cons of the supercharger?

Is it possible to run one of these like a 4AGE Bluetop where you can take off the supercharger and put on a TVIS intake (or is a custom AE86 4AGZE harness going to make that difficult)?

Note's "For Sale" Thread
* GZE Supercharger Kit
* T50 Transmissions

Note

620 posts [100%]
Oil Painting, Trapped

How about it guys, is it possible to run 4AGZE with a TVIS intake and no supercharger? If so, how?

Note's "For Sale" Thread
* GZE Supercharger Kit
* T50 Transmissions

Note

620 posts [100%]
Oil Painting, Trapped

Alright so a 4AGZE can run NA by using a TVIS intake and removing the supercharger, but what ECU and harness do you use?

- ECU: 4AGZE, or 4AGE?

- Harness: 4AGZE, 4AGE, or custom "Tweak'd"?

Note's "For Sale" Thread
* GZE Supercharger Kit
* T50 Transmissions

Note

620 posts [100%]
Oil Painting, Trapped

Looks like the 4A-GZE can run a 4A-GE Bluetop harness, ECU, and intake to run naturally aspirated. The lower compression can be resolved relatively easily.

Modified by Note at 6:54 PM 9/17/2012

Note's "For Sale" Thread
* GZE Supercharger Kit
* T50 Transmissions

Note

620 posts [100%]
Oil Painting, Trapped

Anyone local to San Diego who has some time early this week: I need another pair of hands, a cherry picker, and a jackstand lift (I only have one).

I'm trying to mate the engine to the transmission but the transmission has to be removed. It would certainly be a lot easier with someone else. I'll happily send some money your way for the assist. Email is the best contact for now (Internet doesn't get hooked up until tomorrow). You can find the address in my signature.

I could really use some help, folks.

Note's "For Sale" Thread
* GZE Supercharger Kit
* T50 Transmissions

Note

620 posts [100%]
Oil Painting, Trapped

Anyone local to San Diego who has some time early this week: I need another pair of hands, a cherry picker, and a jackstand lift (I only have one).

I'm trying to mate the engine to the transmission but the transmission has to be removed. It would certainly be a lot easier with someone else. I'll happily send some money your way for the assist. Email is the best contact for now (Internet doesn't get hooked up until tomorrow). You can find the address in my signature.

I could really use some help, folks.

Seriously, anyone out there?

Note's "For Sale" Thread
* GZE Supercharger Kit
* T50 Transmissions

Note

620 posts [100%]
Oil Painting, Trapped

Alright folks, it's story time again.

This past week has been an adventure; between moving into a new place with the AE86 taking several trips of being filled to the brim with belongings (post U-Haul), and finishing up my final college classes, it was difficult to imagine busying myself anymore. But I'm not one to say "too busy", so naturally I decided it was the ideal time for an engine swap.

After emailing back and forth for well over a month, a buyer named Joshua (eightysixer23 here on Club4AG) was looking for something to drop into his AE86 as he just blew his 16v Bluetop. What he did have, however, is a backup 4A-GZE swap. This swap was low-miles, with all the supercharger equipment in tact, and simply in need of a downpipe and a converted harness to work. I soon realized that I'm not much of a forced induction fan, I decided to currently run the 4A-GZE naturally aspirated. This will at least allow the engine to run while I source a spare harness for the conversion, to send my current harness in, or sell all the supercharger gear and built the 4A-GZE as a stronger 4A-GE.

Joshua was kind enough to hook up his Bluetop's TVIS intake and throw in a TRD 4-2-1 exhaust manifold to set the car up for NA, and after making the trip down south we finally got to work:

Pulled out the harness, it was surprisingly easy!

Removal.

Empty!

At this point the swap was going well, until we saw a Police Interceptor roll down the street towards us. Joshua and I weren't terribly concerned; after all we had both purchased these engines legally from engine shops, we were away from traffic, and we weren't making any noise. Although this didn't stop 'Officer Officer' (Officer O, we'll call him). He got out of his car and pulled up his big boy pants, expecting a throw down.

He first and formost walked around the AE86, tsk-tsk'ing to himself mumbling "This is ridiculous" and "how rude" over and over. Until he finally came back to us and started asking the questions. But the fun didn't stop there, Officer O doesn't like to play alone, so he brought his good friend from the K9 Unit down to join us.

After questioning us in front of the cars for a good amount of time and blatantly profiling Joshua (asking him alone if his truck was stolen, if his cherry picker was his, if the engine was stolen, etc.) Officer O ran our IDs and told us we avoided a littering charge (some spilt coolant, no engine oil) and how we couldn't work on a car on a public street. He decided to remember our happy-fun time together by photographing the 'scene' and our engines. In the end, Officer O could only cite me on out of state plates, which lead to a fix-it ticket to get my car registered. Nothing more.

To my knowledge after reading up on California DMW regulations before buying my AE86, if you're a college student with valid plates, registration, and a valid license from your state of origin you're exempt from registering your car in California. Now granted, I did just graduate, and granted I also just moved into a new apartment. But the whole reason for going back to a 16v was to pass smog, and thus register it. So if anything he simply harassed us and made a DMW appointment for me.

After this wonderful time together, Officer O and his K9 Officer buddy decided it was time to go yell at some teenagers and drove off into the now-approaching sunset. The day was getting late, and Joshua needed to head back home up north.

We rolled the AE86 into my driveway (which has limited space, the reason for not working there initially) and dropped in the 4A-GZE, although we forgot the fact the transmission was still bolted in. Sadly, things ended there. Currently: the car sits like this:

Not mounted in..

and simply sitting on the subframe brace.

Interior partially taken apart.

Parts in the back.

At this point, I'd like to ask some kind Club4AG member from southern California for some assistace. I have no cherry picker, or a spare jack to lift the transmission, and I have no alternative form of transportation to pick up these tools.

Anyone who is willing to help me get this install finished (dropping the transmission, mounting the engine, installing the transmission) will be compensated in gas, lunch, and hopefully some pocket change. It's not a difficult job by any means, I'm simply lacking the tools; plus a spare set of hands would make the job go twice as fast. If anyone is able to help me out this week I would really appreciate it, as I have meetings to attend later this week in order to get my final grades. The sooner the better of course.

Hope you all enjoyed the story, more to come in later days.

Note's "For Sale" Thread
* GZE Supercharger Kit
* T50 Transmissions

Note

620 posts [100%]
Oil Painting, Trapped

Anyone who is willing to help me get this install finished (dropping the transmission, mounting the engine, installing the transmission) will be compensated in gas, lunch, and hopefully some pocket change. I have meetings to attend later this week in order to get my final grades.

I really need some help here guys, anyone out there have a few hours to spare?

Note's "For Sale" Thread
* GZE Supercharger Kit
* T50 Transmissions

Note

620 posts [100%]
Oil Painting, Trapped

Anyone with a cherry picker able to help me out? I only have 4 days to get this car road-worthy and registered. Shouldn't take more than 2 hours. Cash compensation for your time.

No one in San Diego has two hours to spare?

Note's "For Sale" Thread
* GZE Supercharger Kit
* T50 Transmissions

Note

620 posts [100%]
Oil Painting, Trapped

Anyone?

Note's "For Sale" Thread
* GZE Supercharger Kit
* T50 Transmissions

Note

620 posts [100%]
Oil Painting, Trapped

Still need to borrow a cherry picker, for 2 hours while I mount the motor. No one wants to get money for standing around?

Note's "For Sale" Thread
* GZE Supercharger Kit
* T50 Transmissions

Note

620 posts [100%]
Oil Painting, Trapped

Still need to borrow a cherry picker, for 2 hours while I mount the motor. No one wants to get money for standing around?

Note's "For Sale" Thread
* GZE Supercharger Kit
* T50 Transmissions

Note

620 posts [100%]
Oil Painting, Trapped

No cherry picker owners in San Diego?

Note's "For Sale" Thread
* GZE Supercharger Kit
* T50 Transmissions

Note

620 posts [100%]
Oil Painting, Trapped

Still need a cherry picker to finish my swap. Anyone willing to help out for some cash?

Note's "For Sale" Thread
* GZE Supercharger Kit
* T50 Transmissions

Note

620 posts [100%]
Oil Painting, Trapped

On another subject, does anyone have a spare AFM laying around? I never got one with my TVIS intake and I'm sure a filter over the throttle body won't suffice. I'm going to assume missing that one piece alone will fail my smog inspection.

Heck, if I could just borrow one for the day that would good enough.

Note's "For Sale" Thread
* GZE Supercharger Kit
* T50 Transmissions

Note

620 posts [100%]
Oil Painting, Trapped

Modified intake, smog check, anyone?

Note's "For Sale" Thread
* GZE Supercharger Kit
* T50 Transmissions

Note

620 posts [100%]
Oil Painting, Trapped

Still need a cherry picker to finish my swap. Anyone willing to help out for some cash?

Note's "For Sale" Thread
* GZE Supercharger Kit
* T50 Transmissions

Note

620 posts [100%]
Oil Painting, Trapped

Does anyone know a place I can rent an engine hoist in San Diego?

Note's "For Sale" Thread
* GZE Supercharger Kit
* T50 Transmissions

Note

620 posts [100%]
Oil Painting, Trapped

Finally found a little back alley place that rents an engine hoist, only $40 for the day! Hopefully they don't request my kidney for collateral..

Note's "For Sale" Thread
* GZE Supercharger Kit
* T50 Transmissions

Note

620 posts [100%]
Oil Painting, Trapped

Anyone in San Diego with some time on their hands? Just need two hours and an extra set of hands to finish the swap.

Note's "For Sale" Thread
* GZE Supercharger Kit
* T50 Transmissions

my86mystory

47 posts [100%]
SoCal CA

Where you located in sd? and what else you need tool wise?
 First  < 5 6 7 8 9 >  Last

» Return to Shop Cars (Featured Build-Up Logs) & Personal Buildup Logs