Included Logo Page

The Old CLUB4AG FORUM ARCHIVE

For reference only, all new posts and communications should be posted in the new forums at http://club4ag.com/forums

My Profile | Active Users | Member List | Search

Print  Email  Subscribe  RSS  Help
 My AE86 Build "Wisconsin Body, California Soul" [Note]First  < 5 6 7 8 9 >  Last
Author Post
Note

620 posts [100%]
Oil Painting, Trapped

Re: My AE86 Build - "Wisconsin Body, California Soul" [Note] (my86mystory) » Reply  Edit

Quote, originally posted by my86mystory »
Where you located in sd? and what else you need tool wise?

PM'd you.

Build Thread: 1985 AE86 GT-S

Note's "For Sale" Thread
* GZE Supercharger Kit
* T50 Transmissions

Note's "Want to Buy" Thread

Email: zenkinote@gmail.com

"God's In His Heaven, All's Right With The World"

Note

620 posts [100%]
Oil Painting, Trapped

Re: My AE86 Build - "Wisconsin Body, California Soul" [Note] (Note) » Reply  Edit

Despite the preparation to take a bus to a U-Haul, rent a pickup truck, then drive to a rental shop for a hoist to continue progress on my 16v swap, I was contacted by my86mystory as he offered his assistance. Never one to dismiss the extension of a helping hand, we met up today to get the engine mounted in. After getting the troublesome transmission disconnected, we were able to install the engine very easily.

As evening grew darker we were able to get the transmission lined up, although the bolts to complete the job were amiss. I'm honestly lost on how such valued hardware disappeared, but it looks like I'll be purchasing some new ones ASAP.

Although the progress is slow, I'm pleased I was able to get more work done on the car, and add another person to my network of AE86 owners.

Note's "For Sale" Thread
* GZE Supercharger Kit
* T50 Transmissions

TD86

52 posts [100%]
Carson CA

Re: My AE86 Build - "Wisconsin Body, California Soul" [Note] (Note) » Reply  Edit

Glad to know you found some help with the installation :D

The day when I get my own AE86 will come soon..
4A-C ohhh yeaaaaahh xD
Note

620 posts [100%]
Oil Painting, Trapped

Re: My AE86 Build - "Wisconsin Body, California Soul" [Note] (TD86) » Reply  Edit

Yeah man, now it's just connecting the harness to everything and bolting the transmission back up.

Note's "For Sale" Thread
* GZE Supercharger Kit
* T50 Transmissions

Note

620 posts [100%]
Oil Painting, Trapped

Alright folks, I'm trying to get the wiring harness connected and I'm running into some confusion. Wiring isn't my forte, not by a longshot; so if any of you could help direct me to where these plugs connect to, I would appreciate it.

I assume these go to the Bluetop ECU through the firewall?

The ignition setup, perhaps?

No idea..

Thanks again in advance to those who know the answer(s)!

Note's "For Sale" Thread
* GZE Supercharger Kit
* T50 Transmissions

yellowsnow4free

303 posts [100%]

^ Not sure if you've seen this or not already:

http://forums.club4ag.com/zerothread?id=90711

Idk if it answers your questions or not, but good luck!

Cutting up an AE86? Please me know! I need body panels!

Petition to Reinstate the CA 30 Year Smog Exemption

Note

620 posts [100%]
Oil Painting, Trapped

Re: My AE86 Build - "Wisconsin Body, California Soul" [Note] (yellowsnow4free) » Reply  Edit

Yea, I've seen that thread, although I'm running the 4A-GZE naturally aspirated, as a 4A-GE. So I'm using a Bluetop wiring harness and ECU.

Note's "For Sale" Thread
* GZE Supercharger Kit
* T50 Transmissions

yellowsnow4free

303 posts [100%]

Quote, originally posted by Note »
Yea, I've seen that thread, although I'm running the 4A-GZE naturally aspirated, as a 4A-GE. So I'm using a Bluetop wiring harness and ECU.

Ah, that should simply things a bit

I have a 4AC so I have no idea on 4AG wiring

May I ask why you're running it NA? (just curious)

Note

620 posts [100%]
Oil Painting, Trapped

Re: My AE86 Build - "Wisconsin Body, California Soul" [Note] (yellowsnow4free) » Reply  Edit

I'm just not a fan of forced induction, and prefer the direct response from natural aspiration (even though, yes, a supercharger acts as a higher displacement engine).

The supercharger is a great option, but I don't have the time to get a modified wiring harness, and cram all the parts under the hood. I'd be much happier selling the supercharger kit to someone who would benefit from it, whereas I can build a stronger and more reliable Bluetop out of the 7-rib longblock.

Note's "For Sale" Thread
* GZE Supercharger Kit
* T50 Transmissions

TD86

52 posts [100%]
Carson CA

Re: My AE86 Build - "Wisconsin Body, California Soul" [Note] » Reply  Edit

When I think of wiring, I put it in my mind almost as *insert fitting adjective here* as morgan's body work on his build.. >.>

A little off-topic (apologies) but @yellowsnow4free how does it feel to have a 4ac and whats your average gas-mileage? o-o what started as a curiosity to see what kind of car you had turned into two hours of looking at posts you started with topics about antennas and fc coolers ahaa. clean sr5 though.. hope I get to find a running sr5 next year or so

The day when I get my own AE86 will come soon..
4A-C ohhh yeaaaaahh xD
Note

620 posts [100%]
Oil Painting, Trapped

Re: My AE86 Build - "Wisconsin Body, California Soul" [Note] (TD86) » Reply  Edit

I always thought of the Toyota 4A-C to be similar to a Honda D15 engine (1.5 SOHC, ~80hp, 31/38 MPG). The D15 was the stock engine in mostly all Hondas until the eighth generation.

My old EH Civic hatchback had a stock D15B8, specifically, with 70hp and only 83 lb·ft of torque. As I recall, the engine was peppy but it didn't pull by any means. And yes, it was highly fuel efficient; my Civic even had a stock economy shift light so I could get the best MPG possible.

Those were the good ol' days, haha.

Note's "For Sale" Thread
* GZE Supercharger Kit
* T50 Transmissions

Note

620 posts [100%]
Oil Painting, Trapped

Just gave my third attempt to figure out this wiring harness. I know I'm not too experienced in wiring, but I'm also not Forrest Gump here.

Anyone out there willing to swing by and take a look?

Note's "For Sale" Thread
* GZE Supercharger Kit
* T50 Transmissions

bunghole

230 posts [99%]

Note

620 posts [100%]
Oil Painting, Trapped

Re: My AE86 Build - "Wisconsin Body, California Soul" [Note] (bunghole) » Reply  Edit

Thank you, kind sir.

Note's "For Sale" Thread
* GZE Supercharger Kit
* T50 Transmissions

Note

620 posts [100%]
Oil Painting, Trapped

Looking for an air flow meter (AFM) to purchase, heck, even borrow. I just need one for my smog check.

Note's "For Sale" Thread
* GZE Supercharger Kit
* T50 Transmissions

Note

620 posts [100%]
Oil Painting, Trapped

Also, I've been messing with the starter for a bit now and am having trouble.

I know it sits next the the oil filter under the exhaust manifold, but I can't seem to spot a bolt-up area; thoughts?

Note's "For Sale" Thread
* GZE Supercharger Kit
* T50 Transmissions

Eric'sFreeAE86

2589 posts [100%]
Chattanooga TN

The starter bolts fit in through the bellhousing from the back of the car forwards. You can see the top bolt hole, but the lower takes some feeling around. It's a lot easier with the exhaust manifolds off, but that's a pain to remove if it's already on the car.
Note

620 posts [100%]
Oil Painting, Trapped

Re: My AE86 Build - "Wisconsin Body, California Soul" [Note] (Eric'sFreeAE86) » Reply  Edit

Ahh, that makes a lot more sense. The exhaust manifold is currently removed, but considering that the starter connects to the transmission, and that isn't bolted in yet (just jacked in place), the starter will have to wait.

Note's "For Sale" Thread
* GZE Supercharger Kit
* T50 Transmissions

Eric'sFreeAE86

2589 posts [100%]
Chattanooga TN

Yeah it bolts to the transmission. Did you remove the dust cover? It's the thin black metal plate that bolts to the back of the block, under the flywheel. It's kind of like a shim for the starter.
Note

620 posts [100%]
Oil Painting, Trapped

Re: My AE86 Build - "Wisconsin Body, California Soul" [Note] (Eric'sFreeAE86) » Reply  Edit

I have not, actually. Should I remove it?

Also, are there substitutes for the OEM transmission bolts (Home Depot, etc.), that bolts the bellhousing to the block? Or would that be just a terrible idea? I'm pretty sure the bolt sizes are correctly listed here.

Note's "For Sale" Thread
* GZE Supercharger Kit
* T50 Transmissions

Note

620 posts [100%]
Oil Painting, Trapped

Looks like after looking for the following bolt sizes:

Main Gearbox to Engine Bolts
Two 75mm long 12 x 1.25mm thread bolts
Two 55mm long 12 x 1.25mm thread bolts

Lower Block Braces
Two 10mm x 1.25mm thread bolts, approx. 40mm long

Starter Bolts
Two 10mm x 1.25mm thread bolts, approx. 55mm long

Ace Hardware has the bolts needed, but they'll be either 5mm longer or shorter (they stock 50mm, 60mm, 70, 80, etc). Will shorter work or should I go longer and grind them down / fill with washers?

I know these will be a lot cheaper than buying from Toyota.

Note's "For Sale" Thread
* GZE Supercharger Kit
* T50 Transmissions

yellowsnow4free

303 posts [100%]

Quote, originally posted by Note »
Looks like after looking for the following bolt sizes:

Main Gearbox to Engine Bolts
Two 75mm long 12 x 1.25mm thread bolts
Two 55mm long 12 x 1.25mm thread bolts

Lower Block Braces
Two 10mm x 1.25mm thread bolts, approx. 40mm long

Starter Bolts
Two 10mm x 1.25mm thread bolts, approx. 55mm long

Ace Hardware has the bolts needed, but they'll be either 5mm longer or shorter (they stock 50mm, 60mm, 70, 80, etc). Will shorter work or should I go longer and grind them down / fill with washers?

I know these will be a lot cheaper than buying from Toyota.

I don't know if longer/shorter bolts would work, but if I were you I'd get the 5mm longer ones and grind them down.

It might take a bit longer, but you won't regret having OEM length bolts.

I had to cut down a couple bolts myself, but I've never done so before, so I watched this video:

http://youtu.be/RW4Gg08GGFw

Good luck!

Eric'sFreeAE86

2589 posts [100%]
Chattanooga TN

Buy em from Toyota or find somebody parting out a car. IIRC, two of the bellhousing to block bolts can be infinitely long, but the two upper ones dead end the block. Too long and they'll bottom out and strip or crack the block. Too short and they won't give sufficient clamping force.

Also, about the dust cover plate thingy, leave it on, you gotta have it. It keeps animals out of your clutching and spaces the starter to mesh with the flywheel straight.

Note

620 posts [100%]
Oil Painting, Trapped

Thanks for the clarification, Eric. I already lined up to buy someone's spare set of OEM bolts. Worst case I can buy them from Toyota but I don't want to wait for them to ship.

Still have no idea where the ones I had went off to.

Note's "For Sale" Thread
* GZE Supercharger Kit
* T50 Transmissions

Eric'sFreeAE86

2589 posts [100%]
Chattanooga TN

I'm sure I have the block-to-bellhousing strength brackets and bolts, since I couldn't use them on my 7A block. I know I have the brackets laying around collecting dust.
Note

620 posts [100%]
Oil Painting, Trapped

Interested in selling them? I could always use extra.. considering how easily I lost the last set.

Note's "For Sale" Thread
* GZE Supercharger Kit
* T50 Transmissions

Eric'sFreeAE86

2589 posts [100%]
Chattanooga TN

Yeah man let me try to find them first lol. I'll use the measurements you posted to match them up.
Note

620 posts [100%]
Oil Painting, Trapped

Sounds good, thanks!

Note's "For Sale" Thread
* GZE Supercharger Kit
* T50 Transmissions

Note

620 posts [100%]
Oil Painting, Trapped

Alright folks, I have a week left to get my car running and registered or I get hit with a large fine from the state of California, which I would greatly like to avoid.

I'm still looking for a set of bolts for my T50 transmission (bellhousing to block), an air box + AFM, and washer fluid bottle. Unfortunately I have no other means of transportation so I'm stuck where I am.

If anyone has these items, I'll gladly buy them from you, the closer you are to San Diego the better. Also, any AE86 owners in the area who have some time on their hands, I could always use some help, this is all pretty new to to me still and I'm not the most mechanically inclined yet.

This particular situation has been the source of a lot of anxiety and I'd just like it put behind me so I can once again casually work on my car instead of California looking over my shoulder. Any help is much appreciated.

Note's "For Sale" Thread
* GZE Supercharger Kit
* T50 Transmissions

Note

620 posts [100%]
Oil Painting, Trapped

On that, can I register my car as a non-op using the "Planning Non-Operation (PNO), VC 4604", to get the out-of-state "expired tags" citation off my back while I prep it for smog legality, and then pay the other associated fees when it's actually up and running to CA standard?

It looks like the courts just want some form of California registration papers, or the like:

1. Valid registration card with effective and expiration dates.
2. Citation or courtesy notice signed off by any law enforcement officer or DMV.
3. Proof of sale to auto/vessel dealer.
4. Certificate of junking.
5. Active military ID and valid out of state registration (VC 6701).
6. Deposit of registration fees to DMV. <--- (Likeliest option?)
7. Notice of transfer and release of liability from DMV.
8. DMV online registration renewal transaction confirmation.

It would seem that option 6 is simply paying money towards registration to the DMV. So If i paid all the fees, sans smog, and the NPO fee, would that work.

Anyone have experience with this?

Note's "For Sale" Thread
* GZE Supercharger Kit
* T50 Transmissions

First  < 5 6 7 8 9 >  Last

» Return to Shop Cars (Featured Build-Up Logs) & Personal Buildup Logs