Included Logo Page

The Old CLUB4AG FORUM ARCHIVE

For reference only, all new posts and communications should be posted in the new forums at http://club4ag.com/forums

My Profile | Active Users | Member List | Search

Print  Email  Subscribe  RSS  Help
 My AE86 Build "Wisconsin Body, California Soul" [Note]First  < 5 6 7 8 9   Last
Author Post
Eric'sFreeAE86

2589 posts [100%]
Chattanooga TN

Re: My AE86 Build - "Wisconsin Body, California Soul" [Note] (Note) » Reply  Edit

I'll do my best to get to my garage Tuesday and find what bolts I can. PM me your address so I can get em shipped. That sucks having a deadline like that. My tags expired like 6 months ago, I just have to go through the emission test and pay like regular. There's not even a late fee lol. I could get pulled over, but the car stays in the garage with one issue after another lol.
Note

620 posts [100%]
Oil Painting, Trapped

Re: My AE86 Build - "Wisconsin Body, California Soul" [Note] (Eric'sFreeAE86) » Reply  Edit

For sure, and thank you.

At this point it's just funny how much trouble this car has caused me over trying to initially save $1000 on buying an AE86. If I had spent the extra and just bought one in California I wouldn't have run into half these problems.

Oh well, we all make mistakes sometimes.

Build Thread: 1985 AE86 GT-S

Note's "For Sale" Thread
* GZE Supercharger Kit
* T50 Transmissions

Note's "Want to Buy" Thread

Email: zenkinote@gmail.com

"God's In His Heaven, All's Right With The World"

Note

620 posts [100%]
Oil Painting, Trapped

Re: My AE86 Build - "Wisconsin Body, California Soul" [Note] (Note) » Reply  Edit

Transmission bolts have been purchased, should have this thing road-worthy soon.

Note's "For Sale" Thread
* GZE Supercharger Kit
* T50 Transmissions

Note

620 posts [100%]
Oil Painting, Trapped

Washer bottle kit and AFM with filter have been purchased. I should have all the parts now, to get this thing legally smogged and checked over.

Note's "For Sale" Thread
* GZE Supercharger Kit
* T50 Transmissions

Note

620 posts [100%]
Oil Painting, Trapped

Does anyone know what the options are for aftermarket fuel lines, such as braided stainless steel? I figure if I could get something to work with OEM equipment it would be a worthwhile investment.

Note's "For Sale" Thread
* GZE Supercharger Kit
* T50 Transmissions

Eric'sFreeAE86

2589 posts [100%]
Chattanooga TN

I have seen AN adapters that bolt to the fuel rail, but I don't know of anything that will work straight away with the stock fuel pump. With the right fittings, you could run a braided line from the fuel filter to the fuel rail though.
Note

620 posts [100%]
Oil Painting, Trapped

Re: My AE86 Build - "Wisconsin Body, California Soul" [Note] (Eric'sFreeAE86) » Reply  Edit

Alright, I'll look more into it, thanks.

I just know my fuel lines are probably getting worn out, and I don't see the point to spend a lot of money on someone else's less rusty set.

Note's "For Sale" Thread
* GZE Supercharger Kit
* T50 Transmissions

Note

620 posts [100%]
Oil Painting, Trapped

Off to the DMV tomorrow morning to register the car as a non-op. At least this'll get that ridiculous citation off my back.

Note's "For Sale" Thread
* GZE Supercharger Kit
* T50 Transmissions

marley4us

649 posts [97%]
somewhere ca

Nice ur getting it almost done!!!
Note

620 posts [100%]
Oil Painting, Trapped

Re: My AE86 Build - "Wisconsin Body, California Soul" [Note] (marley4us) » Reply  Edit

Thanks man. Taking care of that citation will be a breath of fresh air, as it sucks working with a time constraint, especially if it involves an AE86.

A set of transmission bolts are on the way, as well as a full washer bottle kit, and an AFM with a cone filter. So nothing should be missing from the engine bay once those are installed. Hopefully I can get this up and running soon, and focus on the other aspects of the car.

Note's "For Sale" Thread
* GZE Supercharger Kit
* T50 Transmissions

Note

620 posts [100%]
Oil Painting, Trapped

Today was the day. I had to go the motorists' fifth circle of Hell, the California Department of Motor Vehicles.. via the river Styx.

Joking aside, the trip was lengthy, as I filled out a plethora of forms, and after two and a half hours of standing in line and speaking to representatives, here's how my registration situation has boiled down:

The title is transfered to my name, my registration for NPO is incomplete though, as I need an official VIN verification by either the DMV, AAA, or my by a local police officer.

Now as much as I'd like to get a free verification from either the DMV or AAA, that requires my vehicle to be towed, which I don't have the time, or resources, to do. That leaves requesting a local "peace officer" to come visit my residence again to verify my VIN. I'm not sure if there are any charges that come with this service, I would imagine so as the SDPD no doubt wants every penny that can get.

I've also requested (and was granted?) via phone line a one-time 30 day extension on my citation deadline. With that I can at least finish up my VIN verification, go to the DMV, finish my NPO application, and turn it into the courts.

All in all, it was a busy but successful day. I also got my California driver's license (a big slip of paper until the actual one shows up in the mail); honestly, how do people fail the written test? It was a cake walk.

Note's "For Sale" Thread
* GZE Supercharger Kit
* T50 Transmissions

ariethekid

492 posts [100%]
LA area CA

I hope I don't have this much trouble transferring my car's registration to Cali. Its registered in TN. Registration was a breeze in this state.

Build Thread: 1984 AE86 SR5 K24A2 Engine Swap
Note

620 posts [100%]
Oil Painting, Trapped

Re: My AE86 Build - "Wisconsin Body, California Soul" [Note] (ariethekid) » Reply  Edit

Quote, originally posted by ariethekid »
I hope I don't have this much trouble transferring my car's registration to Cali. Its registered in TN. Registration was a breeze in this state.

It's a breeze in Wisconsin as well; you walk in, fill out a form, pay the fee, and be done with it. As long as you have the title they don't even look at your vehicle, much less smog it. Although, given the amount of stolen cars in this state, it's only logical for the California DMV to visually confirm the VIN. In all honesty, the citation also made things about 10x more difficult than it had to be, as it was issued while I was working on my car. If it were issued after this swap was finished and I was driving around, I would have gotten it taken care of the next day.

As far as your car, I was unclear from reading your build thread if you're swapping the Honda K24 into the SR5 or the JDM AE86 (I'm going to assume the former). To my knowledge, if the motor isn't from Toyota and the era of the car, it isn't legally allowed and won't pass a smog inspection. It's basically the same situation people with Honda F20 swaps go through. Keep in mind smog in California is both a visual and a pipe test. The Toyota 20v 4A-GE can easily pass a pipe test, but it will never pass the visual, so they will always be failed. It's unfortunately the nature of the beast.

For the JDM AE86, I'm pretty sure as long as you have all the documents it shouldn't be difficult at all to register, especially if it has already been registered in the US and not just Canada or Japan. Again, as long as it passes smog it should be fine.

Note's "For Sale" Thread
* GZE Supercharger Kit
* T50 Transmissions

Note

620 posts [100%]
Oil Painting, Trapped

Well it looks like the great state of California decided to rain down legal armageddon once again to make my life a stress-induced hell.

Following my fiasco at the DMV (posted above) and today being bounced back and forth between different law enforcement offices, I finally ended up calling the San Diego Highway Patrol office to schedule an officer to come and verify my VIN, following the DMV's instruction. I ended up speaking with an officer rather than a clerk and it turns out that registering my car as a non-op will not fulfill the requirements of my citation. How am I not surprised; what does intrigue me is how both the other law enforcement agents and the DMV failed to tell me this the entire time.

So it looks like California is getting their money after all, because I'm over this. I've been stressed, broke, and scrambling for solutions to get my car smogged and registered in time since this citation was pinned to my back. Way to go for doing trying to do the right thing. I'm just shocked that a young college graduate who was trying to do the right thing, and get my car legally smogged, is being convinced like I'm dealing cocaine and have Class III assault rifles in my possession.

So here's a word of advice for anyone trying to bring their AE86 into California; don't. It doesn't matter if you've been a resident for 3 days (which, at the time, I had), or 3 months. Because the day it breaks down, which it will, and/or the day you're outside with it, which you will, you're going to get hunted down.

I apologize for ranting on a forum, but this has gotten out of control, and is being treated in this state in an obscenely inappropriate fashion. Never before I have seen such a lack of communication between areas of the law, never before have I seen such lowly staffed offices, and never before have I ever seen an out of state car be treated like a unstable nuclear warhead.

All in all, I've learned a lot from this. My only hope is that by reading this some other person can avoid any chance of this happening to them.

Note's "For Sale" Thread
* GZE Supercharger Kit
* T50 Transmissions

kyoo

5 posts [100%]
Midwest Midwest

» Reply  Edit

great thread
Note

620 posts [100%]
Oil Painting, Trapped

Re: (kyoo) » Reply  Edit

Thanks, it certainly shows a few of the pitfalls when owning these cars. Hopefully there will be more developments in the next few months.

Note's "For Sale" Thread
* GZE Supercharger Kit
* T50 Transmissions

First  < 5 6 7 8 9   Last

» Return to Shop Cars (Featured Build-Up Logs) & Personal Buildup Logs