Included Logo Page

The Old CLUB4AG FORUM ARCHIVE

For reference only, all new posts and communications should be posted in the new forums at http://club4ag.com/forums

My Profile | Active Users | Member List | Search

Print  Email  Subscribe  RSS  Help
 FT86: FRS UpdatesFirst  < 16 17 18 19 20 >  Last
Author Post
Moto-P
Founder/Webmaster - wwwClub4ag.com

11371 posts [98%]
Southern California CA

Re: (Red) » Reply  Edit

Quote, originally posted by Red »
" my current toy feels quite unstable on the straight,"
There's a fine line between a front end alignment that will keep the car "riding on rails" instead of wandering lightly at high speeds. Over the years I've had a number of times that the front end alignment seemed perfectly fine--but somewhere around 65-70 it got too vague. Took it back, had it tweaked, no more vagueness. And no difference I could feel at lower speeds, or street driving.
That could be all yours needs, a bit of a tweak on the alignment.

Red is right, straight line stability at higher speeds are made or broken by the alignment, and chassis dynamics of rigidity in keeping the alignment, and aerodynamics at extreme speeds. Any car will be unstable, if the alignment is off in caster, camber, tow and/or thrust angle of the four wheels. ALso tire balance can affect it too. But often times, with modern cars, alignment is the only thing keeping even the most mundane cars from tracking very straight and stable for most cruising speeds.

Moto Miwa
Founder/ Administrator Club4AG
moto@club4ag.com

Moto-P

11371 posts [98%]
Southern California CA

Subaru GT300 BRZ Promo Video » Reply  Edit

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3LjYl7VfFKE

Moto Miwa
moto@club4ag.com

Davegt27

1305 posts [99%]

Re: Subaru GT300 BRZ Promo Video (Moto-P) » Reply  Edit

MotoIQ article

http://www.motoiq.com/magazine....aspx

STI - Engine Rebuild
Sort of a strange motor, I had a Subarat DL wagon back in the day

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=byfNt-0iP6U

Right now I am on the fence but the only new car I’ve test drove was the 91 MR2 turbo
If I can find a Scion dealership I will check it out

Davegt27
Code One Racing (C1R)

Moto-P

11371 posts [98%]
Southern California CA

Kageyama at Nurburgring 24HR, VLN9 - in the Toyota 86 Prototype. » Reply  Edit

Masahiko Kageyama, (Pro Racing Driver, Super Taikyu, LeMans, F3000, JTCC, JGTC) had the following to say about the FT86 Prototype (FRS/86) at the Nurburgring 24hrs, VLN9 experience.

“Friday (practice sessions) I’ve had a keen interest in the upcoming Toyota 86, and went into this task with a goal of my own, to see if the car can live up to the legendary attributes of the fun to drive AE86 of the past. I’ve had some time with it on Fuji Speedway a week earlier, but this was the first attempt at any real competition on this almost production ready 86.

Upon first sight I had realized from the unscored brake rotor that this car was fresh off the build with not much distance at all.

But I remember the following from my experience at the Nur 24 Hours. I had climbed into the car, and rolling down the pit road for the first time, I knew right then, that this was already a great car. Not only the tactile sense of the road was felt through the steering, I could get feedback precisely from the hips and shoulders as well. Quick twitch and I can already feel how low the center of gravity was, with minimal upper body yaw-momentum. Unlike a inline 4 cylinder car, this car exhibits much less roll-in of the nose upon turn-in. This and the obvious response was felt through the stiff chassis that kept the alignment on correct arc of suspension movements.

If I may use an analogy of an athlete, it is one of potential, optimum, already from the body dimensions and balance suited for the sport.

The (VLN9) class we were running, was of minimal modifications, aside from safety regulations, our 86 was only fitted with adjustable dampers and only a few other detail legal within limits. Still, right out of the box, in almost similar trim as proposed production setting, the car was already very capable. If anything, I only asked that the front dampers were adjusted for the stiffer on rebound, so as to stabilize the car on some of Nur’s nasty off-camber tight sections, to reduce the nervous nature of this ultra-responsive chassis…fine for smaller tracks but extra work for places like this to keep in check on this old and unforgiving track.

Until now, the “Nurburgring Test” claimed by various Japanese makers were all based on marketing and promotional purpose. But on this outing, I did realize on a production car development, this was something very necessary to complete a world class car. I had to step back and deeply apologize to the development teams about how I felt (in my guts).

During the stints, I was very wary of the oil temperatures, and various systems monitoring. However, looking back, we had revved the engine consistently to the redline, for the full stint duration of my 4 hour turn, and had not a single issue with the new power plant Toyota and Subaru worked to develop. What an accomplishment in R&D! I thought. The gear box was smooth and direct. No sloppy slosh and every shift was a “click-click” motion into the gates. It’s really smooth.

I would imagine any top driver would be pretty damn happy with the feedback and response, and won’t take much effort to drive it at its upper limits. Of course, the chassis is so communicative, that an amateur driver will also be able to learn and feel the car. It’s modest and predictable manners are simply the best learning tool for improving the art and skill of driving. Add to this the proposed affordable price, I would highly predict that even the younger drivers and enthusiasts will develop highly in a car like this in the months and years to come.

I’d like to add that us racing drivers at professional level drive safely and keep that in mind. We do possess the skills and years of practice to allow for very high speeds at limits of the car, but we focus on safety, so as to be able to finish the race, and to stay focused and relaxed to keep the pace consistent.

So, for all of you that are enthusiastic about the 86, please keep in mind the safety, and consistency. And learn progressively, as this is a great tool for all the learn the skill sets, every step of the way. I feel the new 86 will be one of the best tools for becoming a skilled driver.

Masahiko Kageyama – for Gazoo Racing Webpage
Translated by Moto, Club4AG.com

Moto Miwa
moto@club4ag.com

Moto-P

11371 posts [98%]
Southern California CA

Subaru BRZ Premier in Tokyo. » Reply  Edit

http://www.youtube.com/watch?f...9S29M

Moto Miwa
moto@club4ag.com

Moto-P

11371 posts [98%]
Southern California CA

Subaru BRZ at Tokyo Motor Show (turntable shot) » Reply  Edit

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v...share

Moto Miwa
moto@club4ag.com

Moto-P

11371 posts [98%]
Southern California CA

Toyota 86 - Promo Video » Reply  Edit

Moto Miwa
moto@club4ag.com

Moto-P

11371 posts [98%]
Southern California CA

Subaru BRZ Promo Video (Nostalgia version) » Reply  Edit

Moto Miwa
moto@club4ag.com

touge_g35

1779 posts [98%]
lancaster ca

Re: Subaru BRZ Premier in Tokyo. (Moto-P) » Reply  Edit

Quote, originally posted by Moto-P »
http://www.youtube.com/watch?f...9S29M

I've never seen a car receive so much attention and hype before it's even hit the showroom floor at least over the duration of my years so far.
Or maybe it's because I never really cared to pay attention to any other car before this one came out, I mean look it already even has it's own anthem.
I'm curious to how the Initial D series will evolve too....

My wolfpack
http://forums.club4ag.com/zerothread?id=101082

My website, click on this link for my motor sports photography samples.
http://www.likhoun.com

Moto-P

11371 posts [98%]
Southern California CA

I filled my own soundtrack and made this a single campaign...maybe I'll be sued? » Reply  Edit

http://www.youtube.com/watch?f...Kksek#!

Moto Miwa
moto@club4ag.com

kouki1986

1232 posts [100%]
honolulu hawaii

Re: I filled my own soundtrack and made this a single campaign...ma ... (Moto-P) » Reply  Edit

very clever but the only differences i noticed was the other one is blue...

http://www.carbonfibercollection.com

carbonfibercollection@yahoo.com

Red

9661 posts [78%]

Re: North American, Scion USA FRS Preview Event, November 30th, 2011 (Moto-P) » Reply  Edit

"It's not the usual perception of "beating" another car in the races, but to beat it in driving enjoyment."
I can appreciate that and agree with it. Even the curmudgeons on TG have sometimes said "well yes, but this one's just a pleasure to drive even if it isn't..."

And at the same time, with 30+ years of technology available, it certainly would only be appropriate to show that the new car retains the sweetness--and at least incidentally exceeds the performance. There are lots of pretty cars, lots of powerful cars, lots of expensive cars. The question is, when this one is held up next to the one it is paying homage to, how do they really look, side by side? (Look, feel, perform.) Isn't so much of "car stuff" a question of comparisons, and how one does against another?

That can also really get the buzz out, unless their goal is truely to build another sleeper with awfully low production volume.

--Original owner, '85 Corolla GTS. Will trade for a Cadillac-Gage V150, or a Ford GT, in similar condition.
ToeKnee805

613 posts [90%]
Santa Paula California

Re: North American, Scion USA FRS Preview Event, November 30th, 2011 (Red) » Reply  Edit

Another MOTOiQ Article a little indepth on the suspension components.:
http://www.motoiq.com/magazine....aspx

1986 Corolla GT-S
1989 240SX Hatch
http://www.facebook.com/805LIDE
Moto-P

11371 posts [98%]
Southern California CA

Scion's official webpage for the Scion FRS is up :D » Reply  Edit

http://www.frs-scion.com/

Moto Miwa
moto@club4ag.com

Moto-P

11371 posts [98%]
Southern California CA

Re: Scion's official webpage for the Scion FRS is up :D (Moto-P) » Reply  Edit

more at http://www.frs-scion.com

Moto Miwa
moto@club4ag.com

dodong27

332 posts [100%]

Is it just me or is the Rear Seat (top half) looks "cheap"..???
I mean it doesn't flow with the interior or the bottom seats...
Did they go over their budget for the interior and made the back seats with left-over fabrics..???

*please explain*

dodong27@hotmail.com

08 Scion xB
81 Toyota Starlet TRD
78 Savannah RX7 RHD JDM

Red

9661 posts [78%]

Re: Scion's official webpage for the Scion FRS is up :D (dodong27) » Reply  Edit

Rear seat looks like "We're going to make a legal rear seat so you can get a cheaper insurance discount, but this is really a 2+2, don't invite your friends to come along".

Or, "Its a sports car, why waste money and weight on a seat you'll never use?"

IIRC the original Datsun Z's also had rather stark rear seating, and that suited their owners just fine. They sort of defined a US market niche for 2+2's, if you ignore Old English Sports Cars.

--Original owner, '85 Corolla GTS. Will trade for a Cadillac-Gage V150, or a Ford GT, in similar condition.
dodong27

332 posts [100%]

Re: Scion's official webpage for the Scion FRS is up :D (Red) » Reply  Edit

Quote, originally posted by Red »
Rear seat looks like "We're going to make a legal rear seat so you can get a cheaper insurance discount, but this is really a 2+2, don't invite your friends to come along".

Or, "Its a sports car, why waste money and weight on a seat you'll never use?"

IIRC the original Datsun Z's also had rather stark rear seating, and that suited their owners just fine. They sort of defined a US market niche for 2+2's, if you ignore Old English Sports Cars.

I know what you mean, but can't they at least continued with the red trimming for the top-half to flow with the bottom half..???

dodong27@hotmail.com

08 Scion xB
81 Toyota Starlet TRD
78 Savannah RX7 RHD JDM

Red

9661 posts [78%]

Re: Scion's official webpage for the Scion FRS is up :D (dodong27) » Reply  Edit

And here I thought the red stitching (note, prototype, production car may yada yada) in the rear was overly generous. I mean, who's going to be looking at the back seat for how long anyway?

And if you buy a blue car, do you get a blue trimmed interior instead, or is everyone stuck with red?<G>

Actually stitching can be a big deal, back around 79-80 the compnay that made red thread for GM interiors had a strike, and that meant no orders for "red"ish cars got built for months. Any other color, you got your car. Red interior? You got to wait. Henry Ford wasn't all wrong about black, but I suspect Toyota knows that. From the random "it will be red or gray" interiors on the early GT-Ses, for sure. And the white cars, that never quite landed in the US.

Moto-P

11371 posts [98%]
Southern California CA

Re: Scion's official webpage for the Scion FRS is up :D (Red) » Reply  Edit

Red,

The rear seat is a bonus and a result of concentrating on something else. Chief of Design, Mr.Tada had expressed to me prior, and also later at the Press Conference in Tokyo, that ONE of the many, objective of the body interior dimension was to accommodate 4 tires, and tool box, and a helmet and garment bag. So with the seats folded, it actually produces a pretty flat floor, and tie down anchors concealed.

This is so that like AE86 users going to their favorite autocross or Sunday drift tracks, can once again utilize the ample space AE86 had.

As a result of this cargo area capacity target, there happened to be enough space for +2 seats so it was included for the sake of convenience and economy of scale to many in-town users.

The liftback design which would have been more convenient, however, was not planned since the car also had a strict goal to reduce upper weight, and increase torsional rigidity, which a liftback design does compromise in both areas. The FRS will therefore be offered only as a 2 door coupe for now.

Who knows though, IF, we all show a lot of interest, and the FRS does sell really well. Who's to say Tada san and Toyota designers won't bring back the 3 door or even a rag-top, just for nostalgia's sake?

So there is a reason. :D

Moto Miwa
moto@club4ag.com

aramis1988

38 posts [100%]
bell gardens ca

Re: North American, Scion USA FRS Preview Event, November 30th, 2011 (Moto-P) » Reply  Edit

ken gushi drifting the frs. take it look.
http://noriyaro.com/?p=8130

16v and still banging!!!!
Davegt27

1305 posts [99%]

Red,

The rear seat is a bonus and a result of concentrating on something else. Chief of Design, Mr.Tada had expressed to me prior, and also later at the Press Conference in Tokyo, that ONE of the many, objective of the body interior dimension was to accommodate 4 tires, and tool box, and a helmet and garment bag. So with the seats folded, it actually produces a pretty flat floor, and tie down anchors concealed.

This is so that like AE86 users going to their favorite autocross or Sunday drift tracks, can once again utilize the ample space AE86 had.

As a result of this cargo area capacity target, there happened to be enough space for +2 seats so it was included for the sake of convenience and economy of scale to many in-town users.

The liftback design which would have been more convenient, however, was not planned since the car also had a strict goal to reduce upper weight, and increase torsional rigidity, which a liftback design does compromise in both areas. The FRS will therefore be offered only as a 2 door coupe for now.

Who knows though, IF, we all show a lot of interest, and the FRS does sell really well. Who's to say Tada san and Toyota designers won't bring back the 3 door or even a rag-top, just for nostalgia's sake?

Thanks Moto

I am also into the old Opel GT’s (68-72) and it’s a small front engine RWD imitation sport car, call it a sport coupe.

It has a flat area behind the seats that allows storage of small items.

I think having the second seat will help with the insurance companies (it won’t be called a sports car) but that is speculation on my part.

Davegt27
Code One Racing (C1R)

Red

9661 posts [78%]

Thanks, Moto. Sounds very much "Z" legacy like. Stashing four mounted wheels in back, through the side door...I've done that to shift my snow tires around but it sure can beat the upholstery. They missed the chance to build the world's smallest and sportiest El Camino!<G>

Here, hold the camera while I fire up the plasma torch. (heheheh)
We can fix this.

Moto-P

11371 posts [98%]
Southern California CA

Scion FRS 12/10/2011 - First Ever outing on USA soil, publicly. » Reply  Edit

12/10/2011
Cars & Coffee Car Meet and Greet
Irvine, California, Ford Campus

This was the FIRST ever outing publicly of the Scion FRS with Scion PR Team, at the Cars & Coffee Car Meet and Greet gathering.

3 AE86's from Club4AG members accompanied the one of only 2 FRS Pre-Production USA car, and the only one with modifications to date shown in public.

Club4AG AE86's accompanied this FRS from Greddy headquarters at 6:30am for a surprise, unannounced public viewing to Cars & Coffee, in Irvine CA.

What a success! All the folks swarmed into the car almost magnetically, and there were several young folks who claimed position of expert (from reading rumors and what not on the interweb...lol) and even the older exotic car owners simply marveled at the construction, engine layout, and other details of the car. There weren't enough of us to answer the riot of people and questions. Still, The FIRST EVER STREET outing of the FRS, complete surprise and unannounced shocked the show visitors, and lucky by-standers got a treat of seeing this occasion.

Special Thanks to Scion USA PR Staff, Greddy USA, and great friends who brought beautiful AE86's for this memorable occasion of our lives. The Greddy enhacements are still developmental for this car, but visually, its already spectacular.

Secondly, I have to apologize to EVERYONE for not sending invitations earlier. But I will promose that when I am allowed to work publicly with Scion USA folks on future events, I will send notices to all Club4AG folks!

For those of you in the EAST COAST and Midwest, the FRS will be at the Detroit Motor Show in January, don't miss it!

Moto Miwa
moto@club4ag.com

Moto-P

11371 posts [98%]
Southern California CA

Re: Scion FRS 12/10/2011 - First Ever outing on USA soil, publicly. (Moto-P) » Reply  Edit

Scion FRS - with Greddy USA and Club4AG by Moto@Club4AG, on Flickr

Note the LFA-like front sub window at the leading front of the door. by Moto@Club4AG, on Flickr

Gorgeous car... by Moto@Club4AG, on Flickr

You have NO idea how long I have been waiting for this day. by Moto@Club4AG, on Flickr

Didn't get to go too far, it's still a secret vault car so I didn't get to go no more than to feel the clutch, steering, shift linkages, and brakes. But let me tell you, within just a few dozen yards of this car, even before the full around the block. OMG...!!

The steering feel is on the heavy side like a proper sports car, possibly VERY communicative at speed, the clutch pedal stroke is almost a dead clone of the AE86, triple pedal layout is spot on for heel and toe, the engine response is about as good as my 20V blackhead on Freedom ECU, seat position against vehicle controls were akin to what most of us place with a low-bracket aftermarket seats in the AE86, the cabin engine noise is effectively orchestrated by Yamaha, Subaru and Toyota working on a epic concert, just as defined as my LFA ride experience just a day before this.

Also I need to note that the front A pillar is really similar to the LFA, and front window raked about the same from the inside. Lots of headroom. I'm 5-10 and you can see from the photo, I have a lot left in headroom. I think anyone up to 6-2 or so will fit fine with a helmet, thanks to the very low seating position. The OEM bucket seat is spectacular! It may be a bit tight at the shoulder bolsters for the widest of folks, but for me it seemed tailored to my shoulders.

Shift linkage is very short throw for an OEM box with perhaps 4 inch travel? from 3rd-4th at the top of the shift lever. The shift feel is nothing I have felt in a Toyota-Aisin box before, its as precise and firm as a brand new BMW M3.

I first bent in butt-first into the low seats, then holding the steering wheel, I swung over my feet over the rather wide side sills. (I can see the structural rigidity just by looking at these sills) It's a VERY low seating position. Once I adjusted my seat via slider and recliner, I noticed everything else just seem to fall right where I needed it. Pretty close to a modified AE86 race cockpit seating position. Firm seats hold you snug at the thigh, and shoulders, where it counts the most for tactile feel of the road. The ritual needed to ingress/egress is pretty special, and you really get a sense of the fact that you are climbing in and out of a sports car, again similar to getting into an LFA.

Modified by Moto-P at 4:07 AM 12/12/2011

Moto Miwa
moto@club4ag.com

Moto-P

11371 posts [98%]
Southern California CA

Re: Scion FRS 12/10/2011 - First Ever outing on USA soil, publicly. (Moto-P) » Reply  Edit

So yeah, trust me, once inside and you're underway. This car does feel every bit as something an AE86 driver wants in a modern rendition of compact sports. Almost forgetting how different it is on the outside and the fact that it shares nothing mechanically in parts. It is a driver's car worthy I think of AE86 drivers...

Moto Miwa
moto@club4ag.com

Moto-P

11371 posts [98%]
Southern California CA

Might want to add that the E-brake lever (Side Brake we call in Japan) is a bit short and pivots a bit far back. For me it was ok for use while driving for dynamic purposes, but shorter drivers may need to extend the lever a bit to get a comfortable grip and leverage. Taller guys will have no issue, and should be right where it needs to be...as you move the seat back more.

Moto Miwa
moto@club4ag.com

Moto-P

11371 posts [98%]
Southern California CA

Mark Vaughn of AutoWeek magazine had the honor of taking the first ever road trip of 7 miles to and from the event this morning, in the Scion FRS. Ever.

Ok I'm the 2nd if you exclude the Scion PR staff that got to drive it in and out of the Torrance HQ and truck drivers who unloaded the car.

At the end of today, the car has 23 miles on the ODO.

Moto Miwa
moto@club4ag.com

oldeskewltoy

13133 posts [99%]
Portland

I vote for a sport wagon

Information is POWER... learn the facts!!

http://www.toyodiy.com/parts/ USE it!

I've been wrong before... and at somepoint in time, I'll be wrong again

Moto-P

11371 posts [98%]
Southern California CA

Re: Scion's official webpage for the Scion FRS is up :D (oldeskewltoy) » Reply  Edit

Quote, originally posted by oldeskewltoy »

I vote for a sport wagon

WHy not? :D. Though I drove the CT200h F-Sport and despite the weird Prius drivetrain, the handling was really impressive.

Moto Miwa
moto@club4ag.com

First  < 16 17 18 19 20 >  Last

» Return to Toyota New86, Scion FRS, and Subaru BRZ Topics